cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cwatson5
Community Participant

Unpublishing a quiz

When I try to unpublish a quiz, it says I can't because a student has already attempted it. But that's not true. I am the only person who has access to the course. I did preview the quiz, but no student has attempted the quiz. 

7 Replies
KelliW
Community Member

Reset the Student View for the course. That ought to clear out the "attempt" when you previewed it. 

cwatson5
Community Participant

I already tried this. It does not work:/

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @cwatson5 ...

Give this a try...  in your course, go to "Settings", click on the "Sections" tab, and then under "Course Sections", click on the name of the section that has all your enrollments.  Under "Current Enrollments", you should see a "Student, Test" role with a string of random letters and numbers.  Hover your mouse over the "Student, Test" user, and you should see a red and white "X" icon (if not, you'll need to ask your school's local Canvas administrator to do this for you).  Click on the "X" to remove "Student, Test".  Just be aware that the next time you use the Test Student role, it will add "Student, Test" back to this area.  Are you now able to unpublish your quiz?

I hope this will help a bit.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

cwatson5
Community Participant

I tried. It did not work 😕 I was able to remove the test student, but I was still unable to unpublish the quiz. The submission details (of my preview - i.e. the test student) are still there. Still says "can't publish if there are student submissions". Even though there are none.

Hello @cwatson5 ...

Could you double-check this for me?  On your "Quizzes" page, click on the name of your quiz.  Next, click on the three dots icon to the right of the "Edit" button, and select "Show Student Quiz Results".  Do you see any people listed under the heading "Students who have taken the quiz"?  Just wanted to double-check this with you...thanks!

cwatson5
Community Participant

Under "show student quiz results" it says no students have taken the quiz.

Yet when I preview the quiz it says "view previous attempt" and "take quiz again" and the preview is the original version of the exam. This is exactly my problem. It can't forget my preview. I can't see a preview of the newly edited version, and I can't unpublish it... all because it can't forget that I previewed the original quiz 😕

Hi again, @cwatson5 ...

Thanks for the additional information.  To be honest, I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or not.  You might need to reach out to Canvas Support in order to get more help with this issue.   How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?  If you contact the Canvas Help Desk folks, please post a message back here letting us know what you find out.  I've heard that chat support is quicker than phone support these days...due to COVID-19.  I hope this will help a bit.