cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jarrodsisk
Community Participant

Using Ipad with Pen and parts of comments disappearing......

Hi there,

I have been using the canvas app on my ipad and grading assignments using the ipad and apple pencil.  I can see all my comments and hit done but when my students look at the graded assignment some of the comments are half there or missing.  Why doesn't it save my complete comments as they appear on the screen.  What am I doing wrong?

8 Replies
gcollins1
Community Participant

This sounds similar to a problem one of my faculty was having last fall.

And Canvas Support said, in short: "The main reason we will see some of the annotations be removed when the submissions are left and then come back to will be because the submission page was left before the annotation was completely saved. This can happen if the page is left too quickly, or if there may be trouble with the connection. To avoid this, they will want to make sure that the top of the submission page says "all annotations saved"."

Here is a link to the other solution/post:
https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor/Issues-with-Annotations-in-Speedgrader-on-my-iPad/m-p/...

jarrodsisk
Community Participant

Thank you.  I did see that post.  The problem is mine does say "all annotations saved", I then enter the grade and hit done and still some disappear.  I don't really understand why.

@jarrodsisk

Did you find a solution for this issue? I remember the post about last fall as well about leaving the page too fast. 

jarrodsisk
Community Participant

No  - I didn't find one.

One of my colleagues said it may have to do with erasing and then some things don't save after that.

Either way it is frustrating.  I finish my comments, make sure it says "all annotations saved" and then later, at times, pieces of comments are missing.  Not all the comments or anything but just parts of the comments.  So the second half of a comment I wrote will be gone.

I am using my apple pencil with the ipad. 

Willing to really try anything at this point because I like using the iPad to grade with the pencil but if it isn't going to save everything then I cannot use it as the notes for the students are incomplete.

@jarrodsisk

Sorry to hear that. Well, there are plenty of people who use an iPad and Apple Pencil without issues, so it should work. All I can suggest is the usual, uninstall and reinstall the app and in this case, remove the Apple Pencil from your device and add it back. In fact, if you can test another Apple Pencil that would be ideal, but unless you are having issues with it in different apps, that's probably not the problem here. 

Besides that, I would suggest you contact your tech support so they can put in a ticket to Canvas Support. This might need a deeper dive on the tech side. 

jarrodsisk
Community Participant

Thanks.  Don't think it is the pencil as I can see all the comments before I exit.  It is only when I go back in to them.

I will try the uninstall and reinstall.  I do wonder if more have the problem as you would only know about it if you went back to look at your comments........or your students commented.  None of mine had I only noticed it when I went to grade corrections.

@jarrodsisk

Did you find a solution for this issue? I did notice that Canvas Teacher 1.12.0 had quite a few bug fixes so maybe that was the answer? 

I contacted Canvas support on Chat.  They had me clear the cache by going to iPad Settings, selecting the App from the list, disabling "Allow Cross-Website Tracking" and enabling "Reset cache on next launch."  I then completely closed the app, logged back in, and it was much improved.  At first, it still happened a few times, but when I tried to recreate it to show them a video several hours later, it was working just fine.