cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I add a module?

How do I add a module?

Modules are used to organize course content by weeks, units, or whatever organizational structure works for your course. With modules, you are essentially creating a one-directional linear flow of what you would like your students to do. Once you create modules, you can add content items, set prerequisites, and add requirements.

Learn more about Modules.

Note: If the Course Home Page is set to modules, modules can be added and managed directly from the Course Home Page.

Open Modules

Open Modules

In Course Navigation, click the Modules link.

Add Module

Add Module

Click the Add a Module button.

Add Module Name

Add Module Name

Type a name in the Module Name field.

Lock Module Date

Lock Module Date

If you want to restrict the module until a specific date, you can lock the module.

Add Module Prerequisites

Add Module Prerequisites

If you have added at least one module to your course, you can require a prerequisite module. A prerequisite module means students must complete the added modules before they can view the new module.

Add Module

Add Module

Click the Add Module button.

View Module

View your created module.

To add items to your module, click the Add icon [1] or drag and drop to add files to an empty module [2].

Comments

I have titled my Module, yet I cannot find "Lock until" or prerequisite on the screen.  

I developed a module and was able to add it BUT it is a PowerPoint that contains videos.   They won't play.  First time doing this .... so if anyone can help...PLEASE DO!!!

@jmancini

I'm not sure why you wouldn't see the option to lock a module or add prerequisites. Have you followed the first two steps in this lesson or have you perhaps clicked a button in a different place? If you could share a screenshot of what you see that might help us determine what might be going on.

Cody

Hi @olivasn,

What type of module item did you select when you added the PowerPoint as a module item (assignment, page, link, external tool, etc)?

Cody 

weckert@lccc.edu

It all makes sense so far.

Impressive!

This demonstration is very informative. Thank you so much posting it.

This is VERY overwhelming and should have been taught to subs back in July.

Hi @yfischeraein,

Thanks for adding your comment to the Canvas guides and welcome to the Canvas Community! The Canvas Community is a global resource which holds how-to guides and forums to help users find answers to Canvas-related questions. However, these comments are not connected directly to school or district.

If you're a substitute teacher that is new to Canvas, I'd recommend the overview instructor videos to learn more about Canvas. If you have questions about how to do something specific within a Canvas feature, I'd recommend the Instructor guides. They include how-to guides that are organized by feature. If you have any further questions about Canvas, feel free to reach out and our team will do our best to answer your questions. 

Naomi

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
Wednesday
Updated by: