cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enable course self-enrollment with a join code or secret URL?

How do I enable course self-enrollment with a join code or secret URL?

If your Canvas admin has enabled self enrollment for your institution, you can enable self enrollment in your course. Self-enrollment allows a student to sign up for a course using a secret URL or code. Self-enrollment can be enabled for a course whether or not the course is publicly visible.

Note: If you cannot view the options for self enrollment, your admin has disabled this setting for your institution.

Open Settings

Open Settings

In Course Navigation, click the Settings link.

Open Course Details

Open Course Details

Click the Course Details tab.

Open More Options

Open More Options

At the bottom of the page, click the More Options link.

Enable Self-Enrollment

Enable Self-Enrollment

Click the Let students self-enroll by sharing with them a secret URL or code checkbox.

Update Course Details

Update Course Details

Click the Update Course Details button.

View Self-Enrollment Details

View Self-Enrollment Details

Copy and share the provided secret URL [1].

If your institution has enabled Canvas authentication, which allows students to sign up for a Canvas account, you can also view an alternative sign-up option that includes the account URL and join code [2].

Comments

Can you get a join code w/out without paying for a subscription?

Hello @PattyMacDonald,

I just looked in a Free-for-Teacher course and was able to see this option in Course Settings. So you should be able to follow the steps in this lesson to enable the join code.

Cody

I can't find the join code anywhere. The one I have is not working.

Hi @PattyMacDonald,

I took a peek at your courses and the join code displays in Settings at the very bottom of the Course Details page. Hope that helps!

Naomi

I have followed these instructions for all of my courses but one course is still not displaying the join code after 12+ hours of trying to activate it. I have submitted a ticket but need to add students as soon as possible.

@shamoont 

I just took a quick look at your list of courses and notice that most are unpublished.  Have you verified that the course you'd like to invite students to is published?

My district added courses today for all teachers and we've already set up courses that we will use. I only have three published courses that I will be using. AP Literature is the course that the join code is not popping up for. All other courses are obsolete.

@shamoont 

We're doing some testing and it looks like the settings may be related the fact that it's a 'blueprint' course.  The course is a 'parent' course so you won't want to enroll your students directly into it.  You'll want to work with your school admin to set up a new course that pulls from the blueprint and allows you to enroll students.  

you can find more information on this in the top section of How do I enable a course as a blueprint course as ... - Canvas Community 

Thank you! This was the problem. I created a "copy" of the course and it copied without being a blueprint course. I now have a code to give to students and was able to keep all of my content without having to copy it all over. Thanks again!

Awesome, @shamoont.. So glad to hear it!  Hope your semester/quarter goes great!

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 6.49.19 PM.png

I have followed the steps to do self-enrollment (get a URL code) but in my description box I do not see the URL for my course.  Please help me

Hi @Mikariv,

As stated in this lesson, if you cannot view the options for self enrollment, your admin has disabled this setting for your institution. You may want to reach out to your school to see if this is something that has been restricted from teachers and if they want you to invite users in a different way.

Cody

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
6 of 6
Last update:
a week ago
Updated by: