cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I select specific content as part of a course import?

How do I select specific content as part of a course import?

When importing course content with the Course Import Tool, you can choose to select specific content as part of the import. This option allows you to select specific content areas such as assignments, settings, and files without importing the entire course.

Not all content can be copied as part of a course.

Notes:

• Importing a course more than once may have unintended consequences. If you import content into a new course, edit the content in the new course, and later import the previous content again, the imported content will override the existing content.
  • If you change your mind after the import has started and you want to import all course content, you can import all content by selecting each item for a content type.
  • For information about the Course Import Tool's limitations, view the Course Import Tool overview.

Open Settings

Open Settings

In Course Navigation, click the Settings link.

Import Content into Course

Import Content into Course

Click the Import Course Content link.

Select Content Type

Select Content Type

In the Content Type drop-down menu, select the content type you want to import. Complete any additional fields required for the content.

Select Specific Content

Select Specific Content

In the Content section, click the Select specific content radio button.

Import Course

Import Course

Click the Import button [1].

A progress indicator displays the upload status by percentage [2].

Select Content

In the Current Jobs section, click the Select Content button.

Select All Group Content

Select All Group Content

Content can be individual items [1] or a content group [2]. Content groups show the number of items within the group. To view content within a group, click the group's expand icon [3].

To import all content for a content type, click the checkbox next to the content name [4]. If the content type is a group, Canvas automatically selects all items within the group.

Select Specific Group Content

To import only a few items from a content group, expand the group and select the specific items to be imported [1]. Canvas places a dash in the content group checkbox [2], indicating not all items are selected within the group.

Select Thin Common Cartridge Content

Select Thin Common Cartridge Content

If you imported a Thin Common Cartridge file (Common Cartridge import), this file type is imported directly as module content. The structure can be expanded to view a nested layout that simulates the content structure. Learn how to select content with Thin Common Cartridge files.

Select Content

Select Content

Click the Select Content button.

View Current Jobs

The report displays a menu bar with the time remaining to complete the import. View the content from any completed imports by accessing any link in Course Navigation.

The import may also display errors as part of the import status. Learn more about course import statuses.

Comments

When trying to import shared content from coworker, I click on "import" and I instantly get an error reading "There was a problem starting import operation." 

The course I am trying to import into is not published. Is that why? 

Hi @sharlinj,

I don't think that publish status should impact your course import one way or another. What content type (the Select Content Type step in this lesson) are you using?

Cody 

I imported the wrong content to a course, and then imported the correct one. How  do I delete the wrong content from appearing in the syllabus, and make the right one show up in the modules?

Hi @envirogator

Thanks for posting your question! You'll have to manually remove the content from the course. You can remove multiple content items from their respective index pages. Alternatively, if your course is not yet published and/or live, you can choose to reset course content (DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU HAVE STUDENT SUBMISSIONS AND GRADES—in that case your best option will be to manually remove the mislaid content). 

Hopefully this helps answer your question. If there's anything else my teammates and I can help answer, please let us know. 

Thanks,

Allie

Every time I attempt to import an assignment from one course to another, it says it does it successfully, but is nowhere to be found 😞

Hi @NickNafster79,

Imported assignments should display in the Assignments Index page under an assignment group named Imported Assignments. 

Cody

@ctitmus 

That assignment group doesn't exist in my index 😞

@NickNafster79,

Bummer. If they aren't showing up anywhere on the Assignments Index Page, I would suggest contacting Canvas Support so they can look into that for you.

Cody 

I see my imported assignments in the Assignments Index page , but am stuck trying to "move" the assignment into it's proper place in a module...so thereafter I can edit. 

When I do this, I get the "Can't find valid settings for this link" error.  How can I move content without losing the link?

Hi @bgustafson,

Just to clarify, it sounds like you can view the imported assignment on the Assignments Index page, but are not able to view/move the assignment on the Modules Index page or within the Assignments Index page? For information about adding an assignment to a course module, check out How do I add course content as module items?. For information about moving assignments within the Assignments Index page, see the How do I move or reorder an assignment? guide. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out. 

Naomi

Hi @kbreeding,

Is the item you are trying to import require an external tool to be set up (e.g. Google Drive, Office 365, etc.) or include a broken link? 

Naomi

Hello @CanvasDocTeam !

I am trying to copy a Canvas Quiz to from a published course to a published workroom.  I believe I have tried moving the quiz as a published quiz, as well as unpublished, and I think I've gotten the same result.

Not sure if a Canvas Quiz can be a broken link, or is an external tool.

@kbreeding,

New Quizzes is technically an LTI tool, so this may be the problem. Adding this feature is currently under development.

Cody

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
6 of 6
Last update:
a week ago
Updated by: