cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gandrei
Surveyor

Assigning time limits to quiz sections

Hi! I am experimenting with Canvas due to the course I TA for being moved online. We are working to set up a midterm exam. I love the new quizzes and the functionality with quiz banks and ability to use regex.

However, I am wondering it it is possible to create a "sectioned" quiz with multiple phases (eg. multiple choice then extended response). I am wondering if it is possible to assign time limits to individual quiz banks or quiz sections rather than just one limit for the whole quiz.

For example, if I want to give them 15 minutes to answer the multiple choice and then 45 to answer an essay question. I realize I could do this by setting up two quizzes but fear this will be confusing for students, so I would prefer to keep it as one unit.

I look forward to your thoughts and contributions! Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ba9
Surveyor

good i  deai

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @gandrei ...

Unfortunately, I do not see a way to section off parts of a New Quiz to give one part "x" amount of time and another part "y" amount of time.  That would be an interesting idea, though.  Would you be willing to submit it as a Feature Idea here in the Canvas Community?  You can do that by clicking on the PRODUCT menu at the top of any screen here in the Community and then selecting IDEA CONVERSATIONS.  Then, click on the "Suggest an idea" button.  There are a few documents you might also want to review before posting your idea:

I hope these resources will help!  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care...be well.

That caused me even more stress when I took a math class with the "One Question At A Time" format during this semester, one individual quiz for each question. Grades were even lower than I expected. I would not implement such a feature into the courses that I want to teach. What if students like me have academic disabilities?

In fact, my math professor used this format for her midterms to deter cheating, but I believed that it caused me more stress than I thought due to my disability. She puts a quiz for each individual question and gives out a time limit for each of them. The more questions placed, the less time I had for each of them, given the length of the class period (50 min/day). Furthermore, most of the questions on midterms were File Uploads, making this more stressful. 

If I were to teach a class, I would not use such a format as the one above. However, if I was forced to use it, I would not use File Uploads as question types, but rather use Multiple Choice, Multiple Answer, Fill In The Blank (including Numerical), or Essay questions.