cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mklay
Surveyor

External tool submission help

I created an assignment with an external tool submission via office 365.  Students were able to edit the file, submit etc. and their file was saved to their Canvas folder on OneDrive.  I had them check to be sure it was there and were able to open, edit, etc.  My question is I want to to add more information to the file.  How do I create the new assignment so their old file opens and allows them to enter the new information?

Thanks.

Matt 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @mklay ...

Full disclosure, I am a Canvas administrator at our technical college, and I do not teach courses.  So, I may be off in my response.  However, here is how I understand the O365 LTI external app integration to work with Canvas.  When you connect O365 to a Canvas assignment, it is pulling a document from your O365 account into the Canvas assignment for your students to use.  From the student side, O365 saves a copy of that document in their own account so that it can be edited and re-submitted.  Your document remains unedited.  With that being said, I do not think there is a way that your edited file could be applied to a student's file if the student already has a copy if the file in his/her own account.  It seems to me that at the time the student began the assignment and O365 copied that file to the student's account, that is the "snapshot" of what the file looked like at that time...not including any other updates you would have made to the file later on...if that makes sense.

Again, I'm not 100% sure on this, but that's my initial thinking anyway.  I hope this will be of some help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.