Feature Request *NEED* - Instructor ability to choose what syncs from Canvas to SIS

klange
Community Member

Simple request, maybe not simple execution. Similarly to the cries for help on not erasing or syncing over comments or any other feature in a school's SIS when the import/sync occurs from Canvas, the process for this doesn't deserve a workaround.

It deserves the ability to select what we want to have sync from Canvas to our SIS.

• If I want to sync everyone in a class, or everyone in a section, globally, great.
  • If I want to sync comments only or grades only, or whatever, great.

There should be a way to select what you want to sync over. That way if you are using your SIS to enter comments into assignments, the sync doesn't have to override it because you can deselect it. Or if you want to enter everything into Canvas and just let everything globally cross over, then let the full sync take place and let your SIS simply receive everything (including comments).

We have PowerSchool/PowerTeacher Pro and it is more work than I am interested in doing to have to stop the sync of an assignment and then put in comments in PowerTeacher Pro (PTP), then manually update any further scores from Canvas to PTP because the sync has been turned off to preserve my comments. The sync from Canvas does not transfer comments, so how about the ability to select that only the scores sync and don't override everything globally.

It is also frustrating that the overriding of a percentage to points is because Canvas deals solely in points, even though the option to 'display' the grade as a percentage doesn't translate and then when the sync happens again, it overrides the percentage to points again in PTP - even though the Canvas assignment allows you to assign it to display as percent. That's really confusing.

I've discussed this with our Ed Tech department and they got the same answers when they asked.

Please help.

Labels (5)
0 Likes