Mysteries of the Previous and Next Buttons

rniolon
Community Explorer

Hi all

Maybe everyone knew this already... but I didn't 🙂 so I'm posting this as I thought it might be helpful to someone else.

I set up my course website with a "Home" page that linked to a page for each class. The "Class 04" page appeared exactly as I expected it to. The "Class 05" page, however, appeared with Previous and Next buttons at the bottom. I could view the "Class 05" page from the Home page or through the Pages menu item, and the page always showed up with the Previous and Next buttons.

What I finally figured out was... on each page I link to a "Week # Readings" module and a "Week # Quiz" module. To both of these modules I add a link back to the class page to sort of "close" that module and focus the student on the next thing they need to do to prepare for class.

Both modules linked to from the "Class 04" page included this link back to the class page, and the "Class 04" page did not have Previous and Next buttons at the bottom.

The problem was... I forgot to add the link back to the "Class 05" page in the "Week 5 Readings" module. As a result... the "Class 05" page always appeared with the Previous and Next buttons. As soon as I added the page link to the end of the "Week 5 Readings" module, the "Class 05" page no longer had the Previous and Next buttons below it.

It's one of those things I would not have expected CANVAS to do, so I thought I would post about it in case someone else has this problem.

Labels (3)
0 Likes