cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor II

New Quizzes and SpeedGrader

We have been working swiftly to make a lot of our content available online and user friendly for both students and teachers. I am very happy with most of the features in New Quizzes on the student end - things are working great for them. It's on the teacher end that things get difficult. I'm hoping that enough people can interact with this post to help Canvas to make these features available:

1. In Classic Quizzes, when students submitted work that needed grading by a teacher, it is notated with an orange dot. When it has been graded by the teacher, that dot changed to a checkmark. Now, all submissions, whether they have been seen by the teacher or not, are given a checkmark. With over 150 students, it is incredibly cumbersome to sort through and keep track of who has been graded and who has not. This is a feature that MUST be added for New Quizzes to be user friendly. 
  2. The option to grade one question at a time would make SpeedGrader actually speedy. For instance, if only question #4 of a quiz needs to be hand-scored by the teacher, I could view all the question #4s at once instead of loading each student's quiz and scrolling to that question. I'm not sure yet if this feature was available on Classic Quizzes, but it would be an incredibly helpful feature.

If you have any great work arounds or if you know how to make these features work, I would be forever grateful! If you agree, give this comment "kudos" and we might be more likely for the Canvas wizards to take a longer look at these requests? 

Labels (2)
20 Replies
Learner

Absolutely!  The orange dot is vital.  I can't sit down in one sitting and grade all students at once.  I need to take breaks and come back to it.

It would be great to grade only the questions that need to be hand graded.  It would make it so much faster.  If you really wanted to see a particular student's entire quiz, you could always go to moderate.

In addition to those, I would like is to be able to use the complete/incomplete feature, especially for the beginning of the year.  Using the stimulus is a great teaching tool, like doing a scavenger hunt of Canvas.  I don't want to necessarily grade it, though.

Surveyor II

In classic quizzes you can choose in speedgrader settings > options (top left corner) to grade by question (beta). When you click next student you get the same question. I would like to see something similar in new quizzes.

Some other things I'd like to add:

• Downloading documents from all students with one click. Documents in upload file question. This is possible in classic not in new.
  • Making surveys is not yet possible in new.
  • Using undelete, it seems you cannot recover a new quizz. You can recover a classic quizz with all submissions.
  • Why don't they have the rce available in new quizzes?
  • I don't understand why it's not possible to copy a classic quiz. Some teachers like to use that until new quizzes are in order and then its handy to be able to copy.
  • Importing all your classic question banks in item banks/new. Or is that perhaps possible? Without migrating quizzes and then one question at a time.

I could be wrong in some cases, please correct me if I am. I'm new in Canvas (former Moodle user).

Surveyor II

If I remember correctly, one question at a time is available when scoring an assessment created in classic quizzes. I think it was still in BETA when I tried. This option is not available in new quizzes which is a shame. I agree completely! The ability to grade a particular number with all submissions at once is a must have! 

Adventurer

Does anyone know if these features are even on the radar!  You are absolutely correct.  Unfortunately in the year I've been using Canvas I don't see these really important features roll out very quickly.

Surveyor II

Does anyone know if a teacher can annotate on file uploads in new quizzes?  Are there particular file types that let you annotate and ones that don't?  I'd like to be able to use my Ipad to annotate directly on student work.

Learner

I agree!  I also want new quizzes submissions needing to be graded to show up in my "to do" like my other assignments.

Tags (2)
Surveyor

I just tried "New Quizzes" with my students for the first time. I ran into these same issues. I will not be using it again until they are fixed.

Surveyor

Agree!  It is frustrating to have to scroll to the end of every quiz to get to the short answer.  I also can't seem to hide the score of students in the gradebook, so they get alerted of their scores before I have actually graded the short answers!

Adventurer

I just had an instructor ask me about this very thing. We need the quizzes that need to be graded to show up on the to-do list! This is extremely irritating, and I will have to continue to suggest that our faculty not use new quizzes because of this and other issues.

This course has enabled open enrollment. Students can self-enroll in the course once you share with them this URL: https://canvas.instructure.com/enroll/K6NJRK. Alternatively, they can sign up at https://canvas.instructure.com/register and use the following join code: K6NJRK more options
Update Course Details
these are my classes but my student can not join