cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Course Analysis Tool

Champlain College developed a Course Analysis Tool to be used in our QA process for online courses. The tool is built entirely on top of Google Spreadsheets and pulls data directly from Canvas via the API. We will present the features of the tool and share it with participants.

Presenter: Josh Blumberg​ - Champlain College

Location Map & Room: SILVERADO 1

Login to "Add a comment" below!

24 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Deactivated user,

When you say you "downloaded" the sheet... this makes me think this may be where you went awry.  It sounds like you lost the scripts that power the tool using that process.

1.  In Google Apps, you open the Master Copy

2.  It will be read-only.  Go to the File Menu in the spreadsheet and choose, "Make a copy"

3.  Now setup this copy.

Hope that helps.

Highlighted
Surveyor

Brian,

You can use the sheet as is by simply:

1.  Adding your institutions URL to lists tab field J2   (keep the format: https://yourinstitution.instructure.com/api/v1/courses/ )

2.  On the "selection" tab erase the content in C2,C3 & C4

3.  Type the CourseID directly into field C5

(You can get the courseID from the URL you see on the homepage of your course)

4.  Now you can select "Repopulate All Sheets"

You can setup the pull down menus to work on the selection tab by filling out the rest of the info on the lists tab.  Without this, you cannot dynamically pull the courses in your Canvas account.  We set it up this way because the term codes and account codes at our institution are so complicated that we only wanted to use an abbreviated list and so manually maintaining them made more sense for us.  If you aren't a Canvas power user I recommend skipping this step and just typing the CourseID in.

Hope that helps.

Josh

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I can't figure out why not, but I can't seem to make a copy. The "file" menu is grayed out. I'm logged into my google account. Is there something else I need to do?

grayed out tool.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I figured out my problem when none of my other spreadsheets (including sheets I created and own) would let me do anything to them either. The problem is somewhere in Chrome. The sheet works fine in Firefox, and that's as much troubleshooting as I am willing to do right now. Smiley Happy Just putting this comment here in case anyone else runs into a similar problem.

Highlighted
Community Member

Wow - why didn't I find this sooner! This is an amazing tool and I want to thank you for your kindness in sharing it with others, as it's not something I could have ever done myself!  The information this pulls up is a gold mine!  Thank you so much!

I did have one question though.  I can get the tool to work if I directly enter the Course ID on the Selection page, but when I try to set it up to use the drop-down list I can't seem to get it to run. Before I even select anything from the "Account" or "Term" or "Course Name" fields, they are marked with a message that says "Invalid content This cell's contents violate its validation rule."  What could be the root of this issue?  Perhaps I don't have things set up right on the "Lists" tab?  I currently only have one term listed, and when I do select the items from the "Account" and "Term" dropdowns, the cell for "Course Name" endlessly says "Processing", even though I selected Repopulate.  It's not a big deal because I can get it to work without the dropdowns, but thought I would ask...

tool.png

Thanks,

Laura

Highlighted
Surveyor

Laura.Orsetti@frontier.edu​ Glad you are liking the tool.

Setting up the drop down menus is institution specific.  It requires you to populate the "Lists" sheet which is a sheet in the spreadsheet that is hidden.  It can be a bit of a pain to populate the account and term codes, so some people will just use the tool by entering the courseID as you have.  If you have a few people at your institution who will use the tool then it is worth the time to set it up fully.

Josh

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks!  I tried replacing our institution's info where yours is on the Lists tab, but it just doesn't take when I try to use the drop-downs.  It's quite possible I am not entering the correct info as we are relatively new to Canvas.  I may touch-base with my CSM for help, but since I can run it by just entering the Course ID, it's not a big deal.  Thanks so much!!

Highlighted
Surveyor

You need to get your actual account and term codes from Canvas.  The directions below will only work if you are an admin

To get your account codes:

Go to the account or sub-account (you'll need to be an admin).  Copy the code from the URL

To get your enrollment terms you can make an easy API call by just going to this URL.  Change the to items in all caps.  For most institutions your root account likely has all of your enrollment_terms, but that may not be true at all institutions:

(once you have your accounts)

https://YOURINSTITUTION.instructure.com/api/v1/accounts/ACCOUNTCODEFROMABOVE/terms?per_page=100

You can find the enrollment_term code in whats returned as the "id"

Josh

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks!  I am an Admin and tried this and got it to work.  It's so wonderful!  Thank you!

Highlighted
Community Member

Just tried using this. Took me a while to figure out how to configure it, but eventually I got it to work, except for populating the modules sheet. On that script, I get the following error:

Message details
TypeError: Cannot call method "split" of undefined
Any thoughts on that? 
Thanks,
JL
0 Kudos