cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

InstructureCon 2016 Post-Conference Feedback

Home.pngSchedule.pngFood & Fun.pngPartners.pngHelp & FAQ.png

tl;dr: This is an open discussion where you all can publicly share your qualitative thoughts and feedback about InstructureCon 2016! Please post before reading the comments from others. Then feel free to reply to others!

Once again we were stunned by another kumbayawesome InstructureCon! Fortunately the great sessions, ideas, and connections we made, can live on within our Canvas Community and in the InstructureCon 2016 community space! Remember that you can keep the conversation alive, around each breakout session, by adding comments! This is a great way to connect with the presenters and share thoughts/ideas with other participants.

Please be sure to take that survey that our marketing team sends out, so we can make instcon even better next year. That quantitative feedback is invaluable.

In addition we wanted to have an open discussion where you all can publicly share your qualitative thoughts and feedback about InstructureCon 2016!

Here's some things you might want to talk about: the sessions, the keynotes, the activities, the online schedule, the app, the booths, the venue, opportunities to connect, ideas for the Community Team to improve community interaction and engagement.

Thanks for your help Canvas Community...  We ❤️ you!

Onward and upward!

PS... Don't forget to add all those kumbayawesome photos you took, to the Camp Canvas Photo Gallery...

add_pic_to gallery.png​​

photo_gallery2.png

In your responses please @mention other community friends or use the "Share" tool to encourage others to offer their feedback as well!

Let's kick off this discussion with some @mentions:

kristin.lundstrum@delasalle.com​, jward@instructure.com​, tom.gibson@esc13.txed.net​, kub26@psu.edu​, kdfrench@utexas.edu​, Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu​, ckofeldt@palcs.org​, ktesterman@ccaeducate.me, roush.94@osu.edu​, amber_morse@allenisd.org​, dlyons@instructure.com​, mjevins@winwholesale.com​, hyrum@instructure.com​, lalevesque​, mfgu@dxatc.edu​, kbeimfohr​, jasond@victoryoutreach.org​, britain.woodman@instructure.com​, regina_mccurdy@scps.k12.fl.us​, hsiao.62@osu.edu​, shortridge@gatewaycc.edu​, stuart.ryan@collaborative.education​, lambj@centergrove.k12.in.uslindalee@wharton.upenn.edu​, awilliams​, thatcher.bohrman@yc.edu​, crystal_trotter@allenisd.org​, Deactivated user​, 985706039​, bsargent​, bwalters@swinburneonline.com​, travis.cox@adelaide.edu.au​, beth.ritter-guth@ucc.edu​, tmercer@msddecatur.k12.in.us​, mouldera​, Deactivated user​, sblyth@instructure.com​, tawnya.means@ufl.edu​, michelle@ou.edu​, mlattke@instructure.com​, jray11@iupui.edu​, Deactivated user​, mlove@msjc.edu​, colleen.ortega@adelaide.edu.au​, whitney.kilgore@idesignedu.org​, victoria-maloy@uiowa.edu​, arovner@shoreline.edu​, kevin@ou.edu​, lstark@instructure.com​, dtheriault​, kmiller​, bcrook@standrews-de.org​, grahamb@sfu.ca​, chofer@morainepark.edu​, floria@umd.edu​, sphoward@ccaeducate.me​, Deactivated user​, dhawley@btc.ctc.edu​, jwhite@ivey.ca​, mmorvant@ou.edu​, goodrum​, kristie.johnson@southlakecarroll.edu​, Deactivated user​, hooker.24@osu.edu​, lydia​, yotebrarian​, A00015317​, catherine_gregory@allenisd.org​, kyle.johnson@chaminade.edu​, timothy.mckean@ccs.spokane.edu​, murphy.1527@osu.edu​, sbeck@nwmissouri.edu​, ewilson@occ.cccd.edu​, lclontz@emory.edu​, straussi@erau.edu​, chriscas​, candace.girard@tufts.edu​, p.bier@auckland.ac.nz​, kdscholl@indiana.edu​, bigenhoc@greenhill.orgaharris​, dave-long@uiowa.edu​, kschneider25@alamo.edu​, 16247​, skowlaski@hccfl.edu​, msl_adm​, evans.1517@osu.edu​, eanderson3@greeleyschools.org​, jbrady2@hccfl.edu​, Adrienne.J.Gauthier@Dartmouth.edu​, np@unplag.com​, ebaker@centralia.edu​, timf@bigbend.edu​, travis.thurston@usu.edu​, Deactivated user​, jap98y​, seneman@uncc.edu​, SchaeferG@husson.edu​, stefaniesanders​, rcarney@instructure.com​, scottd@instructure.com​, biray@instructure.com

Tags (2)
182 Replies
Highlighted

I agree, my presentation was good for all levels and roles.

Highlighted

I clicked around the conference pages and never did find it in the community this year. You can thank the budget of the great state of Illinois for current travel restrictions.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I actually purchased a small can of oxygen on Monday for $12-13 and it lasted me all week and did help!

Highlighted

bcrook@standrews-de.org, I didn't even know that was a thing! Good to know.

Highlighted

stefaniesanders​ I saw them for sale in the grocery store at River Run. I had to do a double-take to be certain I was reading it correctly. :smileyconfused:

Highlighted
Community Member

As a Coloradan and former Keystone employee (circa 2003-2004), I was very proud of the way that Instructure and Keystone pulled off the conference. The conference center is lovely and I would guess that Instructure paid a bundle to keep the shuttles running at peak ski season schedules, but it really made the distance between venues manageable. I would echo the sentiment that there were not enough covered places to sit and eat out of the rain/sunshine. The Instructure keynotes were awesome, but the guest keynotes this year were really not up to the standards of previous InstructureCons. :smileyplain: Overall, I had a great time once again and would love to see InstructureCon return to my back yard.

I'm also happy to see that so many of you enjoyed your time in the Colorado mountains, despite the sometimes uncooperative weather!

Highlighted

I agree with more cover. I also know that these conferences generally bring in EdTech pundits for Keynotes to add to the education quote pile and sell books, but I'd rather see more sessions, Instructure-led sessions, or networking opportunities in the mornings.

Highlighted

jnuckles​, I didn't realize you were also in IL! Where are you at? And yes, definitely don't get me started on budget issues thanks to the state... I basically have NO budget left. :smileyangry:

Even if I wasn't pregnant and unable to attend, if I wanted to go this year I would have needed to foot the entire bill myself. I actually did this last year because it meant that much for me to attend. Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Community Member

I enjoyed connecting with others and learned many new things, like last year at InstructureCon.

Since my husband and I both were attending, we brought our daughter.  We'd been told it was a family friendly conference (initally the FAQ even said there would be daycare available!), and it's really not.  There were no reasonable care options, the conference was so far from any major city that we couldn't take advantage of existing care, the conference was difficult to navigate with a stroller, and there was little seating and shade/protection from rain/hail if we managed to get there.  We ended up skipping most of the fun events and meals.  InstructureCon staff were helpful in finding work-arounds where feasible, but we spent most of the time exhausted and hungry.  The extreme elevation didn't help.

Overall, although I feel like I learned an immense amount of immediately useful information at InstructureCon this year, I don't plan on going again unless there are drastic changes.

Highlighted

I overheard someone saying there was full time daycare available, to the point you could drop your kid off in the morning and collect them at 5pm, and they'd be entertained all day. Perhaps that was anecdotal rather than accurate?

As a non-parent, it all sounded good enough to me. Combined with the bikes, kayaks, etc, it had seemed like a very family friendly place (to me as someone without kids and who didn't use the toys anyway). Sorry to hear your experience was different. It would have been annoying to discover it as a non-suitable location due to the isolation from Denver.