cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Embedding Content in Canvas, or: How I Learned to Stop Being Bland and Make My Content Amazing

I'm excited to be presenting at InstructureCon 2018. It's one of my very favorite conferences, and this year I get to present a very fun topic: how to embed content into Canvas like a rockstar (or ringmaster). We will discover the latest educational technology products and strategies to improve student experience by bringing teaching to life and fostering a community of learning within the classroom.

Embedding content into Canvas is when you place code from another website into your course content page. This session will showcase educational technology platforms that you can use to enhance your online and blended course content. Learn about the latest developments in the ed tech community and discover a world of free and cheap (with educator discounts) resources. Also, learn about some of the more professional platforms and interactions that are available through licensing. You will come away from this webinar both informed and inspired.

Learning Objectives:
1. Discover various ed tech platforms and resources that you can use in your courses
2. Learn how to integrate ed tech tools into Canvas

Thursday, July 26 at 10am in Gray's Peak 1

Session Details 

As part of the Canvas Community, I would also like to invite you to collaborate with me on this presentation. I would very much appreciate comments on this blog post: are there any ed tech platforms that you use that you think are awesome and worth sharing or is there anything that you would like to explore? I would be happy to research and cover the interests of the community as I refine this presentation.

Photo by John Schnobrich on Unsplash

46 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I'm not going to be going through any slide deck during my presentation, but I'm creating some slides just in case people want a handout (throwing peanuts at the carnies).  Let me know if you have suggestions.  This is what I'm thinking:

[edit: bummer, it looks like I can't embed the slide deck]

Download the slides 

I'm not sure if the gifs on slide 7 will show up as animated, but here is what they look like in Powerpoint presentation mode:

copy embed codepaste embed code

p.s.  For those who are logging in today...

Highlighted
Not applicable

Sean,  I was at your presentation today and it was amazing.   I learned so much.  You covered a lot.  I hope you will provide additional notes.   I was particularly interested in your use of Padlet, how to embed it and any other ways you use it, assignments etc.    thank you again for a great presentation 

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thank you, guest.  I wasn't planning on providing additional notes, but perhaps I should write up a recap blog post on the topic.  Feel free to reach out to me directly if you'd like to chat more about embedding.  

Highlighted

Hi, Sean. Is there another way for me to get the slide download? I'm getting blocked in my organization from accessing 1drv. Thanks!

Highlighted

Hi Sean Nufer wish i could have attended, not sure my Aussie company would fly me over to InstructureCon, but can hope!

I have done a bit of work on using things as shown below but am alwasy keeping an eye out for more tips!

1. Vimeo | The high-quality home for video hosting and watching  (Good to keep videos private and easy to embed and update as you go)
  2. Using HTML5 for interactive activities, I prefer H5P – Create and Share Rich HTML5 Content and Applications  
  3. Tabs in courses, to break up the pages
  4. This awesome post for changing that horrible audio icon to something cleaner! Canvas audio link size  
  5. I embed podcasts, twitter and other feeds in to pages
  6. I made an image mapped image to make a cool clickable homepage, you could try something like this one Image Map Tool - On-line Image Map Creator - HTML & CSS | Image-Maps.com  
  7. Putting banners, pictures and other "good-looking" material in to freshen up the pages
  8. The use of creative and customised buttons to direct page use rather than clicking next
  9. Using the inline view of pdf's within pages rather than directing them outside of Canvas
  10. Using flipbooks to embed policy manuals within the pages so they can read them directly within the page
Highlighted

jacobtowne7@hotmail.comhis is a cool list! Number 10 looks fascinating. I've not heard of those. I'm going to research flipbooks now. 

Highlighted

Hi Bobby, check out this site Free HTML5 Digital Publishing Platform for Magazines,Catalogs,Brochures,Lookbooks & More...- PUB HTM...  

I have used their free account and its a great variation from the pdf in line preview and can go full screen also. 

Let me know how you go Smiley Happy