Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

#stepsforbeth

244913_2017-07-31_15-56-15.png

Adversity can appear for any of us at any moment. The adversities we face do not define us, but the actions we take in the face of adversity do shape us. This week, I was reminded that actions during adversity do not just mold and shape individuals, but they also provide the opportunity to shape, and shine a light on, the communities of an individual.

This story of Community begins further back in the Twitter timeline—Beth Crook’s July 22nd tweet is where we are first introduced to the #stepsforbeth call to action.

244914_2017-07-31_16-00-24.png

If you have never had the chance to attend InstructureCon, you may not know how big of a request this was. InstructureCon has always had golf cart shuttles, but since the move to Keystone, CO, shuttle busses have been a necessity—for both distance and elevation (9,173′). Asking people, some of which are complete strangers, to walk more than they have to at 9,000’ elevation, is a mountain of an ask.

244915_2017-07-31_15-58-49.png  

Despite the elements, when it came to supporting one of our own, distance and elevation were no match for the sense of caring in our Community. Prior to, and throughout the conference (July 25–27, 2017), the steps rolled in. Here are just a few highlights:

July 24th:

@KRogersSA - Today I did 8,618 #stepsforbeth - walking around #InstCon is prettier than riding in a shuttle!
@KonaRJones - It's been a busy start to #InstCon! Got in 13,229 #stepsforbeth and definitely earned the extra slice of pizza at dinner!

July 25th:

@poprox_conroy - It's 6pm and I've walked 8,604 #stepsforbeth ❤️
@KRogersSA - Second day at #InstCon for me and I did 14,766 #stepsforbeth.

July 26th:

@malapertmarc - 14,102 #stepsforbeth maybe I should have taken the shuttle bus.
@lindajeanlee - Last #InstCon day step total: 15,298 steps, 150% of my daily goal! #stepsforbeth
@aggal98 - 13,164 #stepsforbeth today. Loved every single one of them! #InstCon
@erinmmilne - Did 15,386 #stepsforbeth at #InstCon today!

July 27th:

@mjennings_uab - 13,668 #stepsforbeth on the last day of #instcon
@kblundstrum - 8,976 #stepsforbeth

July 28th:

@rseilham - 38,031 steps at #instcon #stepsforbeth

@AmyWard3086 - Thursday step count 16,478 #stepsforbeth #instcon

My non-scientific calculations captured over 400,000 steps logged for Beth this InstructureCon, and those were just the ones that were tweeted with the hashtag.  The caring keeps rolling in… check out #stepsforbeth on Twitter.

244916_2017-07-31_15-57-26.png

bcrook@standrews-de.org‌, you’re an amazing woman, with a humble heart and genuine love for those around you! Today, in my own 12,889 steps for you, I reflected on how you turned your adversity into an opportunity to unite and build up the communities that surround and support you. 

244917_2017-07-31_16-26-03.png

Thank you for this lesson in humanity!

:smileyinfo:  Keep logging your steps, and encouraging one of our own!  Tweet them, or add them as a comment to this thread!  Beth, we look forward to following your progress!

70 Replies
Highlighted

Tweeted!

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Update on me:  Today, is the first day of school.  And my 2nd day back.  I came in for a day early last week, but it was a lot of welcoming and catching up with people and figuring out how to navigate with the wheelchair, etc.   But today, I'm back into the throws of the first day of classes.  And it seriously could not feel better!  Today is the first day I feel normal!  I can help people without even thinking about HOW to make it happen.  For example, here someone asks for help with their Canvas course and I have it fixed in minutes.   At home, my son asks for chocolate milk and I have to think through all of the logistics of the wheelchair and walker, and are the cups in the high cabinet or within reach, and if it's a full gallon of milk, I cannot lift it using the walker while maintaining my balance, so on and so on.

Today....I feel normal. I am thankful for this place.

Highlighted

So so thankful you get a place of 'normalcy', Beth!  And, Thank you for sharing!  Wishing you an awesome fall start!

Highlighted

Woo hoo, Beth!

Isn't it funny when everything seems more comfortable at work than at home?  I had an injury (nothing like you, my dear) and subsequent surgery last Spring, and felt totally useless at home, but when I got to work it was just challenging and I felt useful.

So glad to hear you are progressing so well.

Kelley

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yay!! So happy to have you back with us! And so happy to hear that you're back on campus and busy working away! You are amazing and inspiration to all of us!

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Okay crazy friends!  I need my cheerleaders strong this week!  New diagnosis (Transverse Myelitis), new treatment, back in the rehab hospital for 1 week of hardcore ironman training (aka - 4 hours of intense PT a day).  Last week I posted over on my fb group about a list of items I plan to do when I am fully recovered:  Indoor Skydiving, Dance lesson, Zip lining, a 5K....  AND what do I go and do?  Sign up to do a "Virtual 5k" for charity while I'm here this week.  With my own rules:  1) It cannot be done during therapy time...needs to be in additional time in the gym. Yep, because that's how I roll.  2)  I get to do it in batches, but 3) it must be completed this week while I'm here under the watchful eyes of physical therapists, and 4) I can use the NuStep machine, bike, or wheelchair races.  But really really trying hard to get it done with my feet!

So if you were on my twitter #stepsforbeth cheering squad and challenges during InstructureCon and during August, start posting your steps and HOLD ME ACCOUNTABLE! The sooner I get back on my feet, the sooner I get back to work and in Canvas!

Highlighted

We got your back, Beth.  You're Pandaforce is here for you!!!!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Glad to hear you have an updated plan for recovery! Your goals are awesome and especially the virtual 5K!! You’ve got this!!!

Highlighted

A new diagnosis, wow, bcrook@standrews-de.org‌! This is an ambitious recovery plan, and you're going to see me on Twitter with my #stepsforbeth cheering you on all the way through it!

Highlighted

Hi Beth:

As Renee said, "May the Panda Force be strong with you!"

Image result for Fight song