Canvas STUDIO Goodness

dlourcey
Instructure
Instructure

I just joined Eddie Small (@smallindiana) and Marcus Painter (@edtechmarcus) in a CanvasLive session where I  had the privilege of sharing my thoughts about Canvas Studio and how powerful Studio is for teaching and learning.

As a district, we have not yet purchased Studio, but if I have my way (enter maniacal laugh), we will. It is such a GREAT tool. In the session, I talk about how my district leadership asked that I get some input from teachers who use Edpuzzle and Screencastify pretty regularly. So, my Canvas CSM and our account manager allowed my to run a test drive in a single course. I opened it up for volunteers to give Studio a spin. So far, they are loving it. I can't wait to share the data with our leadership team.

Watch this session where we talk about what Studio brings to the table in researching options for THE interactive video solution. Studio definitely checks all of the boxes:

Here is the slide deck from the session:

What about some use cases? How can STUDIO be leveraged for learning, strategy, celebrations, professional growth, and promotion. Check out this slide (Slide 6 of the above presentation).

Studio Use Cases.png

Throwing out some questions for discussion:

1. What video solution(s) are you using? How is it working? What do you like best? What do you like least?
  2. How are you using Studio? What do you like best? What do you like least?
  3. What questions are asking if you are trying to make a video solutions decision? How have you done your research and homework in making this decision?
  4. What other other considerations should be at the table?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Tags (1)
3 Comments
hottingert
Community Participant

Hello,

We are debating Studio vs Edpuzzle.  Would love to hear your adventures going through the same thing.

Thanks.

Tom

dlourcey
Instructure
Instructure
Author

Hello Tom (@hottingert),

I finally convinced my district to purchase Studio--YAY!!!!. I think the big selling point was that Studio is built right in. No need to handle LTI integration with Edpuzzle or other tools. Studio simply makes it easier for teachers to record (or upload from Youtube) and then with the magic of the RCE teachers can easily bring the video into a Canvas tool.

There are some comparison pros and cons. One thing I heard from my teachers entrenched in Edpuzzle was the ability to repurpose someone else's video and make it their own. They like that ability and also have access to a huge repository of videos to do that.

I have since left my district in the Fall to come work for Instructure--only two months in of our purchase of Studio, so I am not quite sure what the data is saying about how teachers are or are not using it. 

I still think that Studio is a much better option just because it is native to Canvas. Another thing I love about Studio is being able to edit teacher-made videos with text, music, overlays, etc. A nice feature to create interactivity. I also love that you can embed quizzes directly in a video and then connect it to an external submission type in an Assignment to go directly back to the grade book. 

A lot of nice features.

I hope my ramblings helped:)

Don

bartelbrian
Community Explorer

We went down this road last year, and ended up purchasing Studio.  It's important to remember that there is only one little piece that's fair for comparison of Studio vs. Edpuzzle - that's the video quizzes.  They both do this, but Studio does way more. 

One of the main selling points for us was the accessibility that Studio provides. Studio handles captioning very well - a growing necessity for our DHH students and families (and a benefit for others!). It also allows the teacher to easily edit the captions where needed. This means that the mediocre options in YouTube are not the only option for us anymore - especially when videos aren't appropriate to host on YouTube (mainly for privacy purposes).

As mentioned, it's already built in to Canvas, so no need to contract another service. This also makes grading a little easier too.

Another benefit is video hosting - we have been using a mix of services, including Google Drive and other cloud services. Studio provides a consistent platform for us, and also provides some analytics.  However, the analytics don't work on public videos (we would want this for videos we want to display on websites, for instance).

One annoyance is that we are a Chromebook district for students (and Teachers). While it's possible to capture video on the Chromebook, the editing does NOT work on Chromebooks. It does work for teachers on their desktops in the classroom. So this makes it hard for teachers to prep videos outside of their classrooms.