Has anyone archived Canvas after a school year?

Jump to solution
joseph_allen
Community Champion

So as the 2015 / 16 heads for a close in June, it is occurring to me that we may need a snap shot or archive of all the assignments / grades in our Canvas instance.   I know that teachers still have access to their content after the class concludes, this is more about us having to re-use grading periods for summer school and next school year.  Once I remove this year's grading periods, all of the grades and assignments will consolidate into one big grading period and no longer be accurate, hence my urgency to take a snap shot of everything before I do that.  Parents have the right to contest grades for months and sometime years after courses conclude, so we need the back up of assignments and grades from given courses.  It would be much more difficult to piece together without the grading period piece in place. 

So....

Have you archived all of your grades and assignments in a given year?  If so, how did you do it?

1 Solution
joseph_allen
Community Champion

@clong ​

Just to close the loop, so we have decided to take a snap shot in time of Canvas on the last day of school.  Instructure will put that snap shot on another server that will as our official archived copy of everything that happened in this school year.  We will keep the copy for 3 years to comply with state law in case any one challenges how grades were determined.  We would have all of the student's assignment and submissions throughout the year.  We will do this after SY1516, SY1617, SY1718 all on different servers (which we will have to pay a little extra).  This provides us peace of mind and the legal back up we need. 

View solution in original post