cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

How do I edit the number of points per question on a quiz?

Jump to solution

I had imported 30 questions into a test bank from Exam view and wanted each one to be one point for a total of 30 points. Somehow when I imported the test bank as a WebCT 4-6/Vista file in QTI format, I got a total of 3000 points which pretty much freaks out my high school students! I can't seem to edit it. Any ideas? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
clong
Community Champion

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to confirm that there is a bug in ExamView 6.2.1 for Windows that disregards the point values you have set for questions in ExamView and exports them as 100 points.  The easiest workaround seems is to use the Blackboard export & import method as  @john_williamson ​ described. However you can also edit the export file questionsDB by doing a find and replace all.

Because this is a popular item, I made an updated version of my Examview to Canvas video and it will walk you through the step by step along with the workaround to edit the question values with find and replace. Please share with your colleagues and fellow Canvas users.

Updated: ExamView Test to Canvas Quiz or Question Bank - YouTube

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Are you able to edit each question and change the point value now that the questions are displayed inside the Canvas interface?  You would need to hover over each question when editing the quiz, and you'll see a pencil icon at the top right corner of the question where you can edit the point values.

ejackson
Community Champion

I have been going through the same issue, and so is an instructor I have been trying to help. Multiple Choice and a lot of other question types come over as 100 points each, but True/False questions come in as 1 point each as they should. I made sure to check in ExamView preferences and the default point values for every question type are set at 1 point each. But it doesn't seem to make a difference. I would have to go into each question and change the point value back to 1 point. There is no way I (or any of our faculty) would have time for that. Some of these test banks have a lot of questions in them. It's pretty much a deal-breaker for me.....  😞

The faculty member I was talking to said he gets around this by putting his questions into a "Group" and making the group worth a certain number of points. However, that doesn't work for everybody, because there are many cases where you don't want to use groups and have your questions randomized.

There has been more discussion about this on another thread: How do I import tests and quizzes from Exam view software? So it looks like more people are having the same issue.

john_williamson
Community Contributor

You are able to edit questions's point value by  editing your questions in you bank or quizzes in canvas. Just remember if you edit a question on your quizzes this doesn't change your original questions bank.  You might want to try to import your exam view questions in  another format.  I have been importing my exam view materials by first exporting the material as a blackboard 7.1-9.0 file (See below). Then importing the material as Blackboard 6/7/8/9 export .zip file (See below).  This seems to work fairly well for multiple choice, matching, yes/no, and completion.  For numeric response the questions are imported as fill in the blank. 

177391_pastedImage_1.png

177392_pastedImage_2.png

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

3141722331, the estimable  @clong ​ wrote up his method for exporting quizzes from ExamView to bring into Canvas. He actually exports the quizzes as the WebCT /CE6/Vista flavor--but before he does, he changes some settings: Re: Examview importing quizzes value of question

clong
Community Champion

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to confirm that there is a bug in ExamView 6.2.1 for Windows that disregards the point values you have set for questions in ExamView and exports them as 100 points.  The easiest workaround seems is to use the Blackboard export & import method as  @john_williamson ​ described. However you can also edit the export file questionsDB by doing a find and replace all.

Because this is a popular item, I made an updated version of my Examview to Canvas video and it will walk you through the step by step along with the workaround to edit the question values with find and replace. Please share with your colleagues and fellow Canvas users.

Updated: ExamView Test to Canvas Quiz or Question Bank - YouTube

View solution in original post