cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greenfj
Community Participant

How to use canvas with 5-7 year old children?

Hi, My P-12 school has recently purchased canvas. I am looking for some examples and info about how to start to use canvas with our young children. The video of Mrs park's First Grade Class is lovely, but we really need more explicit info about how to build canvas tasks for children aged 5-7. Can anyone please suggest how to get started, and some online resources or examples?

Thanks, Fiona

28 Replies
p_mcmurray
Community Participant

I like the multiple attempt and resubmit ideas even for younger students. As teachers we get so time poor that we often have to move on to the next thing but I'm starting to think about how to write my quizzes so that students can achieve mastery via multiple attempts rather than simply record their first. I want to use the wrong answer feedback to not simply say "Wrong" but rather get students thinking - so using open questions. If anyone has used this effectively I'd appreciate your comments.

(Also I hope that you've voted for the idea to allow multiple attempts of the questions students got wrong idea, rather than having to resubmit the entire quiz)

greenfj
Community Participant

Hi John,

Currently my class are 1:1 ipad savvy - they use Explain Everything to create explanations of their learning and ideas, literacy and numeracy apps to support skill development, and some internet sites. We also have a class blog.

I'd love to have a place where each student can easily store and share their digital creations (currently some tchrs are moving to seesaw for this)

Thanks,

Fiona

greenfj
Community Participant

Thanks Giovanna. Yes, using images that link to materials is useful. I will have to find out more about the video/record option that you mentioned Smiley Happy

Fiona

greenfj
Community Participant

Hi Marissa,

Thanks for your reply. We have ample devices 1:1 iPads for all P-2 students which is fabulous. Love the reading log idea - will look into that, and the discussion post concept. Providing resources to access at home is fab too, although we do use our class blog for that. Currently our parents have not been given access to Canvas, do you know if parent access could be given to a small section of a school - for example a few year levels?

Thank you,

Fiona

greenfj
Community Participant

Hi Kelley,

Great tips thank you. I am particularly interested in the collaboration space you mentioned. I have a few very able children who could well work on their own project...good holiday project for me on how to set one up. Thanks for the links, I'll start there.

Fiona

greenfj
Community Participant

Hi Philip, Great ideas, thank you. I must get started! Fiona

Thanks for sharing these great tips Melissa! Smiley Happy

p_mcmurray
Community Participant

I thought I'd share an update on some ideas we are using.

We have been using the Announcement feature at the group level (not course level as there are 3 Year 2 classes using the same course) to provide links to websites, answergarden collaboration tasks etc. Remember to check out this discussion (https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/8388?commentID=30716#comment-30716 ) so that your students don't get "lost" navigating away from their Canvas page. The other advantage is that students can switch tabs between Canvas where the task is defined and the other tabs where the content or activities are.

I hope this helps.

Phil

tmercer
Community Participant

Check out #canvas4elem chat on Twitter.  You can find dates on CanvasLive.  They are generally every other Tuesday at 9:00p.m. EST.  There is on on 8/30/16 on Making Canvas More Elementary Friendly.

azwaldo
Community Participant

Can any here post a field report or three?