cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vhounslow
Community Member

MYP Marking on Canvas

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any tips for how to use the rubrics in Canvas for MYP marking?  It seems a little complex when assessing all strands out of 8. Any ideas or tips would be great!!

14 Replies
kheading
Community Participant

We are looking at doing this as well, we have tried a few things to make Canvas work for MYP marking but its not quite there and requires quite a bit of mucking around to setup.

It would be great if Canvas could include this in an upcoming release.

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hello  @vhounslow ,

I'm not familiar with the term "MYP marking."  Would you mind explaining what it means?

luisg_pena
Community Member

Hi there, I work with the Diploma and POP, which are graded out of 7.

What I am trying to use are the grade schemes, which allow for a general grade to be equivalent to a %.

You can check the info here:

How do I enable a grading scheme for a course?

How do I add a grading scheme in a course?

How do I use grading schemes in a course?

Also, as all my activities, quizzes, and assignments require to be graded over 7. I will be adding a rubric in each activity according to the grade boundaries.

e.g. an activity has 24 marks, the rubric will add the following boundaries:

7: 21-24

6:18-20

Hope this helps out!

tnovak1
Community Member

Hi All - We're an IB school, running PYP, MYP and DP. 

We adopted Canvas this year (over Managebac) because of the flexibility in using Canvas gradebook and learning mastery gradebook for our MYP program specifically.

Happy to share more detail with anyone interested. But, essentially, we use Canvas outcomes to add all of the MYP Criterion for each subject and level. We make those available to our teachers who attach the outcome to their rubric for summative assessments. Teachers use the Rubric for task specific clarifications and the outcome to feed data (IB score) to the learning mastery gradebook.

The rubric + outcome creating process is a bit tedious during our first year for teachers, but as teachers can save rubrics for future use, future years should be more streamlined. 

We're also considering attaching a Task Sheet as a word doc to an assignment that has the rubric and strands for that assignment. The students submit it back with their assignment (whether on paper, or whatever) and the teacher can mark it in speedgrader. Would still have to attach an outcome to feed the learning mastery gradebook, but eases some of the rubric building.

Hi Scott,

The International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP) has specific rubrics and a grading system that must be used. 4 criteria for each subject area that are scored out of 8 points. Total then input into a prescribed score range to produce a final grade out of 7 for each semester. 

Would love to see Canvas work towards having features in gradebook that facilitate IB schools assessment systems. 

Right now we're manipulating outcomes and learning mastery to meet our needs. 

sfrizelle
Community Contributor

Hi Thomas,

This was super useful. One question. Are you still using ManageBac at all? We have just completed our first year of Canvas, but also still have ManageBac. We have relied on the course planning aspects of ManageBac, which Canvas just cannot do. Am curious what you are using for this - or if you are also doing this in Canvas?

Hi! We’re doing the same thing you’re doing with the outcomes and rubrics. What does your school use for grade reporting? Or, more specifically, what SIS (student information system) do you use? We use Infinite Campus for reporting and are trying to figure out the best way to utilize the passback for assignment and grade reporting. Any ideas or suggestions would be great! 

Hello!

Thanks so much for this and I would love to hear more if you are willing to share!  We are just preparing to use Canvas this year and I have been trying to figure out how to create the gradebook to express the IB Grading.  I have created some rubrics but any insight would be extremely helpful!

Thanks so much!

mbeydoun
Community Member

Hi,

We have started using canvas this year (in the MYP) and need assistance with embedding the IB criterion rubics into our assessment. Can you please give me some assistance or guidance as to how to best embed this. 

My email is mbeydoun@azc.nsw.edu.au

Thankyou!