My top 3 SEL books for children

TaylorParks
Community Member

Social-emotional learning helps kids gain a better understanding of themselves and the people around them. They capture skills that will assist with their emotions, and help develop their identities. Keeping a variety of SEL book options in your book section of the classroom will serve achievements in school, and beyond. 

Taste your words, written by Bonnie Clark, is about a girl name Amera, who's having a bad day. Her best friend ruined her cupcake and ended up saying some mean things to each other, to the point that Amera brings her mean words home. Amera's mom told her that mean words taste like nasty things like "rotten eggs", which made Amera realize that bad words make others feel bad. When she returns back to school, she starts saying kind words to everyone. Taste your words teaches young readers the power of words and the importance of kindness. The books supports personal growth, teaching students why we should think before we speak. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHNQja5zkgs 

But it's not my fault!, written by Julia Cook, is a great read for kindergarten through third grade readers! Join Noodle on his journey as things just doesn't seem to be going Noodles way, but it's not his fault that he didn't finish his homework or forgot to turn in his library book. Noodle eventually learns not to blame others or try to find fault in his wrong doings. This book supports personal growth because it helps young readers practice accepting responsibilities from their actions that they have made. Kids learn that not blaming others on what you did is the right thing to do. 

But it's not my fault! read aloud  

Lacey Walker, Nonstop Talker, written by Christine Jones, is about Lacey, the owl, who loves to talk. She talks all day and all night. One day, Lacey loses her voice which she learns fast the importance of listening. The book supports personal growth by teaching the importance of social skills. It's important to talk and get ideas out, but it's also important to listen to what others have to say. 

Lacey Walker, Nonstop Talker read aloud