cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajuelmen
Community Participant

Standards- Based Grading

Jump to solution

I'm looking to connect with other schools who are using Canvas with standards based grading.  We used Learning Mastery this year with a few pilot teachers, but are having difficulty getting it to report out as we'd like.  I'd like to hear how you are setting up your proficiency scale, rubrics aligned to outcomes and assignments for optimal use by teachers yet understanding and easy access for parents and students.  Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ajuelmen , I'm not that familiar with Standards Based grading in Canvas and how it works, but I did a little research and found the following discussions/information that I thought might be helpful.

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

34 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ajuelmen , I'm not that familiar with Standards Based grading in Canvas and how it works, but I did a little research and found the following discussions/information that I thought might be helpful.

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

jvulcano
Community Participant

Hi Amy - 

I'm just starting to use Canvas this semester with my adult ESL program. I'm trying to integrate Edulastic & Canvas, but I'm using the free version (on a tight budget$$ to go to Enterprise right now) so I'm in a little different boat than you are, probably. I've been searching for a similar group of people to figure out best practices for using an LMS & standards based grading as well.

talanglie
Community Member

Hi Amy,

Our district and particularly our online high school is transitioning to or using/implementing standards based grading in our schools. However, we've also run into some issues around the issue of the gradebook/learning mastery gradebook not reporting out how we'd like. I'm currently in charge of spearheading the renewal of our ELA online courses to be completely standards based as well, so I'd love to chat to see what has been working for you and what challenges you are facing. 

Bottrr
Community Member

Did you ever get a solution you were satisfied with?  Our school is in the same boat right now and I would love to hear anything you found helpful.

Bottrr
Community Member

Did you ever get a solution you were satisfied with?  Our school is in the same boat right now and I would love to hear anything you found helpful.

bbennett2
Community Champion

Hey @ajuelmen -

I support several teachers who use SBG in their Canvas courses. We have looked at Mastery Connect, but couldn't find a way to make it work the way we wanted. We've developed a Canvas-only system that works well using Outcomes for standards, common rubrics, and a mechanism for transferring Outcome reports to numerical grades. I've talked with a few other community members about setting this up and I'd be happy to share more info if you have specific questions.

ajuelmen
Community Participant

bbennett2-

Good to hear! We are also in year 3 with SBG in Canvas.  We have also created our own system to make it work and would love to connect and share processes.  Would you be open to a Google Meet?

Amy Uelmen

bbennett2
Community Champion

Sure. We have some custom tools built that helps with grade reconciliation, but the general structure works well for us. You can send an email to bbennett@elkhart.k12.in.us if you'd like. We're EST and back to school this week, so I'm flexible.

tom_chambers
Community Participant

@bbennett2 we have struggled using the outcomes and the learning mastery grade book at the high school level due to Canvas showing "No Grade" to kids and parents. Also, we have found the student and parent view of the learning mastery grade book to be very clunky with the need for tons of clicks to get an understanding of where a kid is on each of the outcomes, as well as how they are doing "overall". 

We'd love to hear about solutions to using the learning mastery grade book and outcomes, too. We have also looked closely at Mastery Connect, but are not ready to take the plunge there...

Any help would be appreciated. 

Tags (2)