Using Peer Review with Assignments

toddp_nasife
Community Novice

I recently started using the Peer Review feature with assignments and found it to be a great way for students to edit or asses each other's work and offer feedback and suggestions. I have used it primarily in math class when I do daily review at the start of the lesson.

I post an image or a PDF of a daily review sheet from the teacher resources and set the Submission Type for Online. I tend to have them do the work in their notebook and usually set the Online type to Text. This way they just type their answers into the assignment. This cuts down on slow typing and trying to type out their work for the problem. 

After clicking the "Require Peer Review" option, you will have to decide if you want to manually or automatically assign the peer review. I have been doing this manually and assigning peers based on students that I know work well together and would feel comfortable having that person review their work. The idea of peer review with any subject is new for some students, so I want them to feel comfortable with the process and who is working with them.

260530_pastedImage_1.png

When the rest of the settings for the assignment are done, you will be able to click on the Peer Review section of the menu. You can assign several peer reviews to each student, but I have only been doing one per student.

260606_pastedImage_2.png

When the students are finished with their assignment, they will be able to click on the name of the peer they are assigned to and see what they have submitted. They must leave at least one comment in order to save their review and have it posted. I work with elementary students and we are still practicing netiquette and good digital citizenship. I stress to them the importance of being positive with their reviews and keeping it on-topic. For example, if all the problems are correct they simply write "All correct" in the comment section. If one answer is wrong, they write "Check #7 and submit again". 

The Peer Review feature gives students the opportunity to collaborate, review work, and explain math concepts to others in ways that might be different from mine. I hope that this feature will make students feel safe and confident with sharing their work with others. I feel that this feature is a great way to not only review and assess math concepts, but to also establish a sense of security and respect online and in the classroom.

3 Comments
Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

This is something that I know my school wants to do. We have a lot of faculty who are interested in doing, but I also think that they are afraid of letting go and allowing the students to offer peer comments or even evaluations. I will be watching this post to see others comments on how they are using peer review.

Thanks for the information.

toddp_nasife
Community Novice

Hello,

Thanks for the response. It is definitely a learning process for the students. Another area that I had some issues with letting students post and interact online was with discussion posts. I created a novel project where students has to post about a book they read and then respond to other classmates and the books they read. It was a real learning experience for me and I had to spend a lot of time teaching how to reply to others in a discussion post. Communicating and collaborating online is something we have to model and spend time teaching in order for students to do it respectfully and safely. I love how Canvas provides this opportunity in a secure environment with them being completely out there on the web.

Please keep in touch and let me know how it is going for you.

Todd

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

Hi Todd.  We have a teacher here using the peer editing feature, but she is finding (and Canvas confirmed with her) that there isn't a way for the teacher to then add comments to the student submission.     Are you experiencing this as well?    She finds this to be a huge flaw in the tool and I'm wondering if other teachers using this tool also would like the tool expanded to allow teachers to comment.     (I'm going to search if there is an Idea submission for this....if anyone knows if there is one already out there to vote on, please do share).

Thanks!