You Got My Google Drive in My Canvas!

mohammam
Community Participant

canvas + Drive (1).png

I was made aware yesterday, that Google apps integration for Canvas Learning Management System was up and running.  Today, I dived in and tried a few things. I'm sure there is more here, but I'll dig in more when I have time.

Our administrator already added it for us, but it can be added as a normal LTI app through settings.

Once you authorize Canvas to access your Google Drive in a quick couple of clicks, I found there were a couple of great efficiencies for me.

I can access Google Drive files without leaving Canvas.

I can add files from Google Drive directly to my modules without ever leaving Canvas.

I not longer have to go to drive and get a link and put that into Canvas.  I can go right from Canvas by adding an external tool.

Add files from Google Drive into Rich Content Editor.

I like to add instructions and rubrics to my assignments in the rich content editor section.  But to do this, I've always needed to publish the file in drive, copy the embed code, enter HTML editor in Canvas, paste the code, and adjust the frame size for the best view. Now, I can embed the file directly from the rich content editor.  This will save lots of time.  You can also choose the option to link to the file as well.

I look forward to digging deeper into what the app can do.  Our tech integrator said it can do some other things like create copies of files for students.  I'll be interested to see how that works.

8 Comments
wgargaro
Community Novice

I am the admin for my school.  Does anyone know how to secure the key to add Google for the school?

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

It looks amazing. would be very interested to hear what you make of the collaborations feature and how useful students And staff find the uploading assignments from Google Drive feature. I'd like to know if it is possible to comment inline on google docs submitted. On first viewing, the Google LTI seems STREETS AHEAD of the OFFICE365 integration. The ability to embed google documents in the RCE is a massive plus for engaging students in learning and making more  usually interesting resources.

kona
Community Champion

You should be able to get the key from the Edu App Center - Edu App Center

That's where I got mine.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For anyone interested in this topic, the next installment in the CanvasLIVE‌ series on the Google Apps LTI is coming up on Friday, February 3, 2017: Google LTI Series: Accessing Your Assets. Click on the event link to RSVP “yes” if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.

ddamschen
Community Participant

Good Morning! Our teachers LOVE this new addition to Canvas. The are beginning to use the LTI in their courses and are now coming to me with questions that I am unable to find answers for. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

Our math teachers have students take a picture of their notes/homework and save them in their Google Drive. When they are in the Google cloud assignment they chose Insert>Image they get the insert/upload window with nothing in it. 

215441_image.png215442_image (1).png

I'm trying to find out if this is a known issue. Or is there something that needs to happen within our Canvas Instance? 

ndingman
Community Explorer

Has anyone heard or know the road map for the Google Drive LTI to include access to Team Drives?  Our teachers are starting to use this new feature of Google and I'm wondering if and when then Google Drive LTI will include these files?

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

Pinging  @brittany_moose ‌ because this conversation could be useful!

johnmartin
Community Champion

Good Question  @ndingman  — still no answers (or *any* communication on the need) forthcoming after a year of asking. Seems like it should be a basic update rather than a feature request, but... https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8584-team-drive-access-via-google-docs-cloud-assignment" modif....