bbaldwin13
Community Member

The Invisible Boy by Patrice Barton and Judy Ludwig.

This book is an excellent choice for an SEL classroom. This books revolves around Brian. Brian is an invisible boy, but not the invisible you may be thinking of. He is invisible in the way that no one ever notices him. He is lonesome and has no friends. He does not even play at recess or gets invited to things, because he keeps himself away from others. Eventually he meets a friend who's name is Justin. Justin and Brian team up for a school project and become friends. This ends up changing Brian's life and causes him to open up his shell, showing everyone his true personality. This book will support personal growth for the introverts. It may be helping reading it, and letting them know it is okay to open up their shell. This will also help other readers understand that some kids just need a friend. Even though someone may be quiet, it does not determine their personality. This reading can promote a successful reader because it shows the importance of being a friend, and changing someone's life. I believe it should be in all classrooms.

Ludwig, T., & Barton, P. (2013). The invisible boy. New York: Knopf. 

My Mouth is a Volcano! by Julia Cook

This is a book I definitely wish I would have read as a kid. It revolves around a boy named Louis and his bad habit of interrupting others. It shows the struggle Louis has in his body, and the internal fight between his brain and his tongue. While he continues this bad habit, he realizes it is a problem when others start interrupting him, and he gets frustrated. This is a great SEL book for students who may be hyperactive, and have that specific problem of interrupting. Other students could realize the importance of taking turns and waiting for someone to finish talking. This is a good learning experience, especially in the younger generation I plan to teach.

Cook, J., & Hartman, C. (2021). My mouth is a volcano.

The Way I Feel by Janah Cain

Out of the three books, this one is a book I highly recommend in all classrooms. This book sends a main message that things are always changing and no feelings will stay the same. The feelings in the book have names, and it encourages the readers to talk about why they are feeling that way. This book shows personal growth by learning how to communicate your feelings, and understand that sadness or confusion is temporary. This is vital in today's generation, where things may not always be so happy. It is important to teach these children at a young age. 

Cain, J. (2009). The way I feel

more
0 0 1,031