Study Hall: Blueprint Courses

Community Member
1 5 898

Join us for a training and discussion about Blueprint courses! This is a recent tool released by Canvas to help create/edit/deploy/lock course shells. 

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)
5 Comments
Surveyor

Around 34 minutes you say that if a teacher changes something in their associated course and then we push a sync from the parent Blueprint, nothing will change and because the teacher change is "sticky." I can tell you that at least with settings changes such as course navigation, this is not true. If, for example, I disable "Chat" from the course navigation in the Blueprint and then push a sync, it will overwrite the navigation for the associated course, even if the teacher specifically changed the course navigation and keeps putting chat back in the navigation in the associated course. It would be nice if I could be confident that all associated course changes would be considered "sticky."

Surveyor

Also, "A Blueprint cannot have any enrollments," is in the documentation and mentioned several times, however, it is not explained why. Also, we actually currently use Blueprint enrollments as a workaround to Blueprint permissions limitations. 

Here's why we use enrollments in Blueprints. If I give someone the Blueprint Courses (create / edit / associate / delete) permission, as suggested by the video, they don't actually get full permission to edit Blueprint courses. Unless the user also has the same permission for courses, they will not even see, for example, the Navigation tab in a Blueprint. However, if I enroll that same user with ONLY the Blueprint permission enabled into that same Blueprint, they are able to see Navigation in the Blueprint course and edit as expected. I have not seen any problems so far with enrolling a user in the Blueprint, and the Blueprint synced with no problems and did not enroll that user in associated courses either.

Instructure
Instructure

Hey Christin! 

This is a really good catch! Thanks for bringing it up. This is actually something I haven't tried but is a great learn. Thanks again for attending and bringing this point up! I think the reason that there is such an emphasis on "No Enrollments" is because the blueprint tool is not meant to carry enrollments.

Instructure
Instructure

Hey Christin, Course Navigation is part of Course Settings. This is a separate box in the Sync Dialogue. Course Settings cannot become sticky. It is difficult to get a grasp on everything that is sticky and not sticky in Blueprint Courses. The best resource that I am aware of is https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11513-canvas-release-blueprint-courses . 

Community Member

Hello All. Helpful presentation. Our staff and faculty have been working with the Blueprint feature for over a month and went live with students last week. Just want to share that we've encountered several flaws. All have been related to file display and linking strategies (lots of broken links). Canvas is fast to respond and address bugs, but it's been time consuming to identify, report, and manually repair stuff when needed. Also one fix release resulted in another error. My advice is TEST, TEST, TEST, anything and everything, multiple times before going to production. Feel free to reach out if you want to chat about Blueprint.