cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Annotation tools

One of the obstacles that we are experiencing in regard to buy-in from our instructors is the lack of annotation tools in Quizzes. Secondary to annotation being an important aspect of reading for understanding, our students (K-8) are required on standardized tests to highlight text to use as evidence in their answers to comprehension and analysis questions. There are a number of really great websites that do this, some with free demo accounts and some with subscription fees. But, they all require setting up class accounts, logins etc. It would be so awesome if we could do all of this through Canvas. None of them, to this point, are set up for use with LTI.

How are other districts handling this? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Maria Sommer

Curriculum Coordinator

River Vale, NJ Public Schools

Tags (1)
24 Replies
Highlighted

Oops – the app I meant to reference below is Meta PDF, not Lumin PDF. Sorry about that.

Maria Sommer

Curriculum Coordinator

River Vale, NJ Public Schools

617 Westwood Ave

River Vale, NJ 07675

(201) 358 4000 x3103

“We need to ask what kids are being given to do, and to what end, and within what broader model of learning, and as decided by whom.” – Alfie Kohn<http://www.alfiekohn.org/blogs/progressive-labels-regressive-practices/>

Highlighted

Maria,

I might have misunderstood your original post ("evidence", "the lack of annotation tools in Quizzes"). My use of the word "graded" would include any type of review that is done by the teacher, even if that is just simple verification that annotation had taken place.

I am not certain that I am correctly imagining the annotation. Did you view the demo page linked in my first reply (above)? Does that demonstration come close to the process you would like to see in a Canvas tool?

Edit: The demo linked above is meant to show the process, step by step. It is not meant to suggest the actual appearance or design of a tool.

Also, when I enter "Meta PDF" for keywords in a Google search, a wide variety of sites are returned as a result. Do you have a link for the specific "Meta PDF" site or application you mentioned?

Highlighted

The demo seems to be exactly what I am looking for. I envision having one or more text-only items on the quiz for students to read. I would want them to annotate those text items by highlighting and jotting notes (annotations) about their thinking. We have them do this in books using post-it notes. Then, they will write an essay or several paragraph answer to a question, utilizing the annotations to organize their writing.

https://www.metapdf.com

@metapdf

It’s a Google add-on that appears to still be in Beta.

Thanks -

Maria

Highlighted

Thank you for the link, will enjoy seeing another Google tool. I hope to explore all of this soon, but it may be a while before I can guess at how such a feature might work in Canvas.

Being new to Canvas LMS, I still need to learn how such tools are advanced (make it through voting), and how they are developed.

Highlighted
Community Member

Annotation tools for Quizzes is up for voting. Please take a minute to vote on this important feature suggestion to help it move into development.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Learner II

Hi Maria,

You might want to take a look at Edulastic: Interactive Common Core Formative Assessments.​ They are fairly close to having a LTI with Canvas and they have a question type where students can highlight a line of text to select it as an answer.

On their website, click on the "Try a Tech Enhanced Assessment" and then look at question 8.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks Chris, I’ll check it out. We have some other sites we use - EdCite, NewsELA, etc. We’re looking to be able to create our own assessments in Canvas.

Highlighted
Surveyor

We are having the same issue.  We subscribe to Actively Learn which allows students to annotate and teachers to see student annotations.  Teachers want similar functionality on teacher-built reading assignments and assessments.  Have you found a workable solution?

Highlighted

We have not found a solution, but it is up for a new feature vote. Please have everyone you know vote it up so it can move forward in the new feature process!

Highlighted

Here is the link to vote for the new feature.