cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stacy_lambert
Learner II

Bloom's Taxonomy and Canvas

HI,

Has anyone developed a Bloom's Taxonomy with Canvas tools and strategies? Not just a digital taxonomy but one that digs a bit deeper.

We are currently starting to develop one to support teaching and learning- have already read Digital Learning + Canvas + SAMR Checklists as well as the Canvas tool guide for teachers which were very helpful - thank you! Was wondering if there was something similar. We are also looking at backward mapping strategies and how these can improve assessment for learning and the integration of Canvas.  @david_summervi1  #callaghancollegewallsendcampus

If there is nothing around, when we finish our version of it, we will share!

14 Replies
laurakgibbs
Surveyor

Hi  @stacy_lambert ‌! I'm personally a fan of INVERTED Bloom, where the focus is all on student creation and then working back from what they want to create to the content/skills they need in order to succeed in their creation goals (see inverted Bloom and useful link below).

So, if you are helping students to create things, a tool like Padlet is a fantastic way for them to create and then SHARE what they have created with other students in the class. I just wrote up a blog post about Padlet as a collaborative tool in Canvas, and if you search for Padlet here at the Community, you'll find lots of other references to using it in Canvas. It is so fun and easy, and also powerful for sharing!

Here's my post:

Comparison Shopping for Free Tools: Pinterest, Flickr, Diigo, Padlet 

padlet screenshot

About inverted Bloom:

http://plpnetwork.com/2012/05/15/flipping-blooms-taxonomy/ 

inverted Bloom

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @stacy_lambert 

First, here are some additional Resources specific to Canvas (and one general for online courses):

Second, let me tell you how I do it (briefly), and how I train my own faculty:

• Develop Course learning outcomes,
  • Create an outline that reflect the module structure in Canvas, determining how you are going to divide the content to effectively fit your term length.
  • Develop the learning outcomes for each module, constantly verifying their alignment with the course-level outcomes.
  • Roughly flesh out the outline to include the learning materials and activities that support the outcomes for each module, and the assessment activities to measure achievement of the outcomes.
  • Use the outline to build the basic structure of your Modules page in the Canvas classroom, then
  • Use the Modules page as the framework for developing/building the course.

Of course, those six simple bullet points include a lot of details, but the key, for me, is the outline. It helps faculty define the structure of the course they are building, and guides their decisions on content, activities and assessments. Even after 20 years of teaching online, I still use a separate outline as my starting point in course design. I helps me verify that I am not not missing anything, have considered everything, and have verified the constructive alignment of my course.

Also, you will fin in the Canvas Commons my four-week faculty training course "Curriculum Development and Improvement - A Constructive Approach." It has minimal branding for our school, and some small content in the final module that specifically relates to the curriculum improvement process at our school.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

Laura and Kelley These are super helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Stacy

I've just received this in my inbox. Looks fabulous! Blooms Taxonomy periodic-table tool.

I'm going to have a play with it for sure.

Thanks  @Bobby2 ‌ looks helpful and thanks for sending it out! Our little Blooms project here is gaining a little bit of traction. When we have something decent to begin sharing - we will.

@david_summervi1 ‌ callaghancollegewallsendcampus 

Hi  @stacy_lambert ‌

You are gonna love this one https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9541-digital-learning-samr-canvas At least I hope it helps!

Agent K

Thanks Agent K! Wish there was a 'love' button! Not just 'like'! Thanks for your help. This is why I love the community.

Cheers

Stacy

I would give you a 'love' button too,  @stacy_lambert ‌, just for starting this conversation!

Agent K

johnmartin
Explorer II

Excellent questionStacy!! We're doing a similar thing, but at, perhaps a broader level. We're tying Canvas tools to Good Learning Principles and Universal Design for Learning (multiple means of ...).  Here's an early draft: TEiC Course Design Handouts - Aug 2017 - Google Docs featuring examples pulled largely from the Community. A sample: 

Multiple Means of Engagement, Representation, and Expression for EMPOWERED LEARNERS

CO-DESIGN strategies in Canvas

• Require that students use a profile picture (how) and biographical information (how), so you and other students can get to know them. This will result in discussions that are more personally-connected to their interests and skills.
  • Give each student a journal (how) or blog (example) where they can write about and develop their connection to the course topic. Even if they initially feel that there is no connection, by making this a weekly assignment, they will create a connection.
  • Group students (how) or let students create their own groups (how) so they can create learning objects on course concepts.

CUSTOMIZATION strategies in Canvas

• Increase personalities by having students use a profile pic and biographical information (how) so they can better represent themselves and their interests to you and their classmates. This also helps you present content to better meet their individual needs.
  • Show students how to change course nickname (how), course card color (how) and set notifications (how).
  • Provide multiple forms of learning content — e.g. PDFs (how), interactive Google docs (how), videos (how), H5P games (how), pre-recorded lectures (how), etc. — so students can learn in ways that match their interests and needs.
  • Provide multiple options for final project assignments (how) — e.g., papers, presentations, digital stories, websites) so students can express what they learned in ways that reinforce and develop their unique connections with the course content.

IDENTITY strategies in Canvas

• Use Discussions for role-driven conversations or reading responses (how)
  • Provide Group Space (how) for projects where students can contribute according to their existing skills — through interactions with each other on a topic, they will learn other perspectives related to the field.
  • Include assignments, activities, or discussions that require practice within domain specific identity.

MANIPULATION strategies in Canvas

• Maintain simple course interface (how) with tabs (how) and other options (how) so students can navigate easily (this implies the distributed knowledge of the instructor knowing good design principles to reduce cognitive load)
  • Include hints/tips for both incorrect and correct answers of quizzes (how)
  • Give immediate and useful formative feedback to guide students (how)
  • Use discussions and embed Kaltura MediaSpace videos/podcasts (how) so students can control interaction and playback .
  • Provide links to credible Internet sources — e.g. OER Commons app can be integrated in Canvas (how).