Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Canvas Commons Rollout & Faculty Training

Hi Canvas Community!

We just activated Canvas Commons for our institution (grades 9-12). The technology department is excited to bring this to teachers, and I know we need to do some direct training before full implementation. Has anyone in K-12 had success with this? If so, please share! If you had any challenges, what were they?

I'd love to collaborate and learn from you all so I can be as prepared as possible for the announcement to our teachers and for follow-up trainings.

9 Replies
ekeefe
Community Member

Hi! We are in a pilot year with just our 6th grade, transitioning from Moodle to Canvas. Therefore, everything is new to our 6th grade teachers and we are able to intro new things to them easily.

I introduced them to Canvas Commons and they were really excited about it. Their number one request, and what I think you'd need to have some kind of place for it, is that after they do a search and find a potential lesson, they can't see it. You have to import it to view the content. They don't want to import it into their course without checking it out, so we have a specific Commons Test Course where they all can import to their hearts' content.

biray
Community Member

Hi  @ekeefe ​. Thank you for your comments.

Also there is a space dedicated for Canvas Commons​ in the community. Being able to preview content prior to import is one of our top requested ideas: ​. It's in the 'gathering information' stage which means it's on our product team's radar. At this stage, community votes and comments are valuable and insightful during discovery.

Hope that helps! Smiley Happy

biray
Community Member

@klundstrum ​ - Have you see the Canvas Commons Roll-out kit in the Canvas Commons​ area?

I have! It's great!! It's nice to see how other schools are rolling out Commons as well.

@biray ​, is there a way to make this a discussion rather than a question?

biray
Community Member

Since this question has already been marked assumed, it do not think it's possible to turn it back. However we could create a "Share your Commons Roll-Out Stories" in the Commons area and continue the discussion format there. Thoughts?

That sounds perfect. We can copy over Ms. E's reply and have an open space to collaborate.

biray
Community Member

Be sure to link to your discussion question from here to close the loop Smiley Happy

While I was not able create/post a discussion directly to Canvas Commons​, I created a new general discussion. Hopefully one of you amazing Community Managers can move it where it needs to go. If not, I like the discussion aspect better than the Q&A format.

Share your Canvas Commons "Roll-Out Stories"

biray
Community Member

Moved it. Smiley Happy You should be able to create discussions there now Smiley Happy