cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Disable self registration in Canvas Parent

We create our Observers using the SIS import and want to disable self registration in Canvas Parent as we have self registration disabled in the Canvas settings.  It seems that if we disable self registration on the Canvas site it should also disable self registration in the Canvas Parent app.  The main reason is to make it easier for parents since we are linking them in the SIS Import with the Users_Observers file. 

If a parent logs in Canvas Student they are automatically linked to their students - no extra steps required.   Why don't the apps function the same? 

Any one else support this?  Thoughts? Ideas? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi S9300807‌ ~ This is a good question! I can see how institutions would like this option. I shared this question with a few other Community groups, so hopefully, you'll get some responses. If there's a following, I think it could move to a Feature Idea in https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers?sr=search&searchId=8d74b79a-fa61-4c44-b7f5-4fb24bc...‌!

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Kristin,

I'm curious how you create the parent account through the SIS import.   What SIS do you use?  We'd love to do it that method.   We create our own spreadsheet with parents emails from our SIS to create the accounts and upload it into Canvas.   We create a secondary upload connecting students to the observer accounts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi lalesi@jerichoschools.org‌ ~ We use Rediker for our SIS, but we do not use it to create our Observer accounts. Our families are encouraged to create their own Observer accounts at our fall orientations and Back to School Night. We haven't created a spreadsheet and done a manual upload as we want our families to make the choice whether or not to observe their student(s). I recognize that this approach won't work for all schools/districts; we are a small 9-12 high school with approximately 730 students.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

We have 75,000+ students and we only want parents/guardians with access to their student records to be able to access Canvas.  If a parent has a court order to not allow access we can control that with our import.  We have the option to create manual Observer accounts turned off. 

0 Kudos

We import a Use_Oberver file which connects Observers to students.  Contact your CSM for information for using that. or go to  How do I format CSV text files for uploading SIS data into a Canvas account? 

Scroll to 

user_observers.csv

0 Kudos