cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Do you put your k-12 Curriculum In Canvas?

Any k-12 District using Canvas to house Curriculum for the district?

We left BYOC about two and half years ago. We created our own Google Site and then used Google Docs to house our pacing guides and curriculum resources. But it gets a little crazy and unorganized. Wondering if anyone has created curriculum for their subjects all in Canvas.

• How are you housing Curriculum in Canvas?
  • What is your naming convention?
  • How are you using Groups?
  • How to you add new curriculum lessons?
  • What would you do differently?
Tags (2)
26 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

After our site visit yesterday I found that the school we went to see does everything through Canvas. Their teacher websites, curriculum, and instruction. 

On the curriculum side, K-2 are self contained classrooms, so they house all content areas in one course. I.E. Kindergarten would have icons for Math, Science, ELAR, and SS. 3rd and up have content specific courses that they join. These courses house their YAG, resources, snapshots, assessments, and they are working on building some exemplar lessons as well. 

That is the real detail I have now, I am waiting for more information in a follow up. 

Highlighted

Thanks Nichole, 

Why did you you decide to make separate classes for each grade level rather than one huge class?

Highlighted
Community Member

We are currently working on sharing our curriculum through the Canvas Commons. The curriculum yearly planning guides (YPGs) will be linked on Pages by grade level/content to their google doc and the model lessons will be built as free standing modules that teachers can in-port to their sandbox or PLC course (assigned by using our SIS) to review and then push to students.

Highlighted
Community Member

We are a completely online K-12 school that is a division of a university. Currently, our students utilize Canvas exclusively without any outside textbooks with the exception of story books and novels for Language Arts/English classes. We have an open enrollment with start dates beginning every 2 weeks throughout the year.

• How are you housing Curriculum in Canvas?

The majority of our content resides completely in Canvas. We do store some images, game files, and videos in an Amazon S3 account.

• What is your naming convention?

Currently, we name the courses by discipline, teacher, and academic year: English 9 - Mrs. Smith - Academy 2016-2017. The SIS ID is aligned to our Banner numbering system so that our courses fit into the larger university system.

For the individual courses, we break everything down into 10 modules (36 weeks). Our numbering is simply module.week.item:  1.4.3 Sample Name (module 1, week 4, 3rd item for that week)

• How to you add new curriculum lessons?

We wrote all of the courses 2 years ago and actively update large scale changes every semester and make critical changes when needed.

• What would you do differently?

Well, we find that the Canvas rich text editor is lacking unless you want to dig into HTML and CSS. To help our courses look more professional, we are starting to integrate Articulate Rise into Canvas. 

Highlighted

Hanes.Matthew.B@muscogee.k12.ga.us‌ It was great working with your at #khaki17‌.

Highlighted
Adventurer II

So....I have read and reread your posts about housing your curriculum in Canvas. You have all given me some great ideas and we're going to jump in and try to incorporate as many of them as we can. 2 years later - would any of you change anything or offer new suggestions? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

We are going in to year 2 of our Curriculum being housed in Canvas. We ended up creating a series of hidden subpages, linked by buttons to all curricular documents.