cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
applem
Community Member

File Size Limitation and Import Content into New Course Shell

What is the file size limit for importing course content from a previous Canvas course? If the course is too large (over 750mb), what is the best way to bring the content into a new course shell?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@applem , If the old course had 750mb worth of content, then the course size limit must have been increased (the default is 500mb). To get the previous content into the new course you could increase the size limit of the new course to match that of the old. Otherwise, when you go to import the content from the old to the new course, use the option to pick specific content and only pick the content that you want/need to come over into the new course.

applem
Community Member

Our default course size is 750mb

Here is the teacher message:

I am having issues again with getting the export / import from either Canvas Export or through Commons since the course is so large.  I have this warning:  This file exceeds the standard Canvas Import Quota Limit of 500MB, which will likely result in an unsuccessful import.  Can you copy the course for me so I can work in the sandbox?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

That's strange if your default is 750mb. Have you tried it and got the same error message? If so, then you might want to contact Canvas Support to see if they have any recommendations/suggestions.