Google doc assignment

dgrandits
Community Novice

So...we have been using Schoology for 2 years and I was asked to give Canvas a try (which I happily agreed to). We started to use Canvas in January but I quickly found one aspect that was not going to work for me: attaching a Google doc as an assignment which then made a copy for each student...but, that I could NOT see their in-progress work as they were writing. This was a tremendous problem for me, a 7th grade ELA teacher. So I dropped Canvas and went back to Schoology.

Now, we are told we are only using Canvas next year and supposedly they have fixed this issue. I can't seem to be able to test it so I'm hoping someone out there knows if this is possible yet. I keep playing around with Canvas but don't even find the option to attach a document like I did before (this could be user error - it's been a while since I have played with it).

Curious if anyone has been able to assign a Google doc and make a copy for every student and then if you can see their in-progres work. I like to commenton/instruct/direct writing this way in ELA. Thanks!