cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How do I return an assignment to students for revision?

I assigned my class a reading log for the month of September, using Google Drive external tool. 2 of my student pressed submit before finishing the work. Now they cannot modify (keep logging their reading), and I cannot figure out how to push back the worksheets to those two students.

When I use Speedgrader I can check the work, but I can't see how to have them try again.

Thanks for the help!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

aaltman@gcvs.org,

While it might take a little bit of re-teaching the students how to submit, teachers at my school actually prefer to use Website URL submissions for Google Docs that are on-going assignments and then use comments directly in Google or SpeedGrader to explain what needs revised.

We have the students create a folder in Drive that is shared with all of their teachers and keep everything in there so there's no permission issues. I have a Google Slides presentation that walks students through the steps of creating the shared folder with photos if you'd like to tweak it for your school.

The drawback here is that if you grade it once, it won't show up as "Needs Graded" again in SpeedGrader unless students submit the URL again.

When students use the File Upload/Google Docs submission, it takes a snapshot of the file at the time of submission. If you prefer the snapshot, as long as you haven't set a close date on the assignment students should be able to re-submit the assignment the same way as the first time, this way you'd get a notification each time the student re-submits the assigment. (See here for more on availability dates:What is the difference between assignment due dates and availability dates?)

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

This helps for assignments moving forward, but the question at hand is how to return a submission to a student without grading it or adjusting the assignment to allow for resubmissions.

Highlighted
Surveyor

@aaltman Thank you for your idea of having students create a folder in GD with share permissions for all teachers! Might you be willing to share the explanatory slideshow you  created with the Canvas community? 

Many thanks,

Karen

0 Kudos