cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tbatiuk
Surveyor

How do you organize content for a flipped classroom?

Our grades 5-9 online school utilizes the flipped classroom model for most courses. That means the week opens with a "starter video" and schedule for the week, so students can prep for their live classes on Tuesday-Thursday. So this means students need to be easily directed to each Monday's starter page every week.

Does anyone have experience organizing Canvas content for a flipped classroom? I'm hesitant to advise changing the course Front Page every Monday morning, only because I know there's value having the static home with important info on it, but it's my best solution for teachers at the moment.

Thank you!Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
5 Replies
kunikb
Surveyor

I set up my own home page and change it each week.  I give the students a link to the previous week's pages ("Weekly Schedule") and have found this works the best for my 9th-12th grade students.  

245886_Civics 2017 2018  1st Semester .png

thompsli
Learner II

We're mostly-online school (our students are local and we have a physical site where they can come for office hours and optional activities, but their actual coursework is done online except for proctored assessments) rather than a flipped classroom, so my set-up might not work as well for what you do.

I organize my classes with a Module for each "Work Week" (our school uses a school-wide week numbering system each semester, so students all know they're in "Week 03" or "Week 12" or whatever that week), and for my course Home Page I have a Page that starts with our school-wide static template (which I am not a huge fan of, personally, but I can see the argument for consistency even if the actual design and items aren't what I would have chosen) and then a table that links to each Work Week Module for the quarter. This lets them see what they should be doing each week as well as answering their most likely follow-on question of what they should have been doing in previous weeks. (I have assignments and quizzes close two weeks after they are due, but leave instructional lesson materials up for the rest of the semester in case they want to review.) (Future weeks are generally not available in advance.)

Here is a screenshot:

A screenshot of the Page I use for my Algebra 1 Course homepage. It has a table that matches up dates with workweeks and calls out which weeks important tests happen during.

tbatiuk
Surveyor

Brenda and Linnea, this is so helpful! Thank you for information. 

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hey  @tbatiuk ,

This is a great conversation and one that I think a lot of people will find helpful.  Thank you to Brenda and Linnea who have already responded.

By the way, I thought that this seemed more of an open ended up discussion than a question with one finite answer so I switched the content type from question to discussion.

Thanks

Hey  @tbatiuk 

As an instructional technologist / instructional designer for my K-12 district, here is how I teach a teacher to set up a flipped classroom:

For the weekly update on the home page, I would embed a Google doc / Google slide entitled "week at a glance" that covers student expectations of the week. This allows you to maintain your static navigation page and each week you simply edit the Google doc / slide and through the LTI, the student sees the update. 

As far as flipping itself, I would recommend chunking the student self-paced learning into a Canvas quiz. For example, if the student is to watch 15 minutes of video lecture, break the video into 5 minute pieces, insert each video into a Canvas quiz question with a comprehension question at the end, using a criterion-based question so that the quiz self grades. This would allow the teacher to use quiz statistics to quickly ascertain mastery by topic. "Okay, everyone got question 1 correct, is there anything further we need to discuss? Question 2 70% of you got it correct, lets spend some time discussing..."

This quiz can be used as part of a mastery path or at least a locking mechanism in the modules for the next component of instruction. Anyway, some food for thought. Good luck!