cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How do you use Canvas to get quarter grades?

We are a K-12 institution that operates on a standard 4 quarter school year.   This is our first year using Canvas.  We're having some difficulty figuring out how to get quarter grades which can be loaded into our SIS to generate report cards.  The grade export report will work for Q1 because that is the start of the school year, but that report will aggregate over the course of the year.  I need to be able to see just Q2 grades, e.g. Nov 1 to Dec 30, then Q3 Jan 1 to March 1 etc.  Canvas does not seem to have any report that exports grades and is date driven.  Their standard answer is to use "terms", but that doesn't really make any sense for a year long 5th grade math class.  if we set up a term for every quarter, then you'd have to re-enroll all students in the course, you'd lose the continuity of one canvas site for a year etc. 

My question to you K12 community - How are you solving this problem?  Please help.

34 Replies
Highlighted

Well I have two grading periods per semester and I need to be able to pull the grade for just the second grading period.

We are also encountering the differentiated assignment issue - does this fix that as well?

Highlighted

Maybe look at my recent posts (a few minutes ago) here:    and see if this would work for you?

Highlighted

From the 'gradebook view' export you get the group Totals in the .csv, but from the account level export you get the Current and Final, no group Totals.  Maybe dragging assignments into a non-weighted assignment group to get a total would work in this case, but it would be within the course

Highlighted

So that is the only option for us.  I thought there was this Beta fix that was going in to production.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks, Jason. I'm just the on-campus Canvas trainer, and an English teacher, so I don't really understand all the technical stuff.  I'll forward your post to my school's technology coordinator.  We tried the new fix in beta yesterday afternoon and it still didn't work.  We'll cross our fingers that it get fixed soon since we are already in second quarter.

NG

Highlighted

Jason,

Of course you have my vote.  The whole grading period feature though is a little silly without some mechanism to get data (grades) out of the system by quarter.  We will be pushing Canvas hard for this.  It is basic functionality for a K12 organization.

Highlighted

That is good news.  We are about 2 months into our first year of Canvas use and the impressions are not good because of little 'glitches' like this.

Highlighted

Agreed. We are also two months in, and I am trying to get my faculty to see the positives, but there are lots of these bugs that undercut that argument.

Nathaniel Gee

ngee@randolphschool.net

Randolph Upper School

4915 Garth Road SE

Huntsville, AL 35802

Seeking Truth, Building Character, Nurturing All

Highlighted

Nathaniel,

The grading quarters is really our only option too, but we need some way to get the data out of Canvas by quarter, i.e. there needs to be a report with filter. This has to happen now.  And I totally agree that we don't have time for 'votes'.

Highlighted
Community Member

I believe Instructure is listening, and this is almost in reach. We do need to insist on the matching grade period/section exports. Their platform is robust in all other areas and getting better each day.

Sent from my iPhone