Ideas for K-12 teachers new to Canvas

isobel_williams
Community Contributor

Hi

In my role I am helping roll out Canvas across the state to teachers K-12.  After working with teachers of differing stages of experience with LMS I decided to try and make it easier for them to decide where to start.  I found that lots of teachers thought that they needed full year long courses with everything their class needed in one spot.  This document is designed as a "place mat"  for teachers to position themselves on and perhaps just focus on learning to do one thing really well eg assignments before adding other tools like discussions or quizzes.

I have had teachers look at this after telling me that Canvas wont be for them - breath a sigh of relief after seeing they don't have to create everything at once - just focus on one thing that will save them time.

6 Comments
Bobby2
Community Champion

It's a fabulous hands on tool  @isobel_williams . Great for a starting point for teachers and those in leadership roles. 

I'm sure that people in https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/strategies  will be interested in this also. 

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Wow, this is awesome. Love the design, organisation of ideas and the clarity of the document.

Don't know if this might interest you? A copy of a tool guide I adapted from Joyce Seitzinger that she made for Moodle - https://community.canvaslms.com/people/Gideon.Williams 

Great work Isobel

isobel_williams
Community Contributor

Hi

Thanks for sharing that - I have seen the original Moodle one and thought it would be nice to see a Canvas one - so thanks!  Isobel

ssimpso4
Community Contributor

@isobel_williams  I 'created' this user reflection rubric based on some PLC work in a prior role. Access the rubric.

Thanks for sharing your resource with us!

isobel_williams
Community Contributor

hi  

thank you that is another useful tool to add to my understanding of where teachers are and how i can help them

WatsonWork
Community Participant

Thanks for this resource. It's great being able to stumble upon such useful ideas.