Is there anyway to see a students Google Doc revision history in a Canvas assignment?

Jump to solution
sembry
Community Participant

I have several English teachers who are heavy Google Doc and Google Classroom users. One of the questions they have concerning moving their content to Canvas was how they could still see a student's revision history when using a Canvas assignment. Has anyone encountered how to make this happen? Thank you! 

3 Solutions
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@sembry  

You asked your question some time ago, so I'd be really interested to hear your experience!  So please do come back and share what you learned!

There were a couple different ways I achieved this when I was teaching.  Sometimes I elected to use Collaborations.  I assigned a collaboration to a group, or an individual student, and I was able to view every transaction on the google doc, as well as have students submit them to the assignment.

In other times I had students create a google doc and submit it either directly from Google Drive or as a URL.   @jperkins  did a great short post on Grade a Google Doc using SpeedGrader.  He would have more expertise in accessing the history than I would, so hopefully he will add his experience!

View solution in original post

Having them use the share button on their doc to both give me editing rights (uncheck notification so you don't get zillions of e-mails) and then choose the copy link from within that share window seemed to work.  Thanks so much!

0 Likes

They submit to Canvas with a URL code generated  by the share button of their doc after giving you google editing rights.  Hope this helps!

0 Likes