cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gail_bliss
Surveyor II

Powerschool - crosslisting

Looking for someone who uses Powerschool and integrates with Canvas.  We are considering it, but I have a question.  We list dual enrollment classes, in Powerschool, by their individual names and the college being used.  We create a generic class called Dual Enrollment #1, #2, #3, in Canvas, for the purpose of announcements, two way communication, some other misc. assignments that have nothing to do with actual class, but we need the students to do for housekeeping, like submitting receipts for books, etc.  By doing this the teacher, over the dual enrollment, has all her cherubs in one class for easy and quick contact.  Not all our classes are like this, though and if we integrate with Canvas, I have been told we need to do all or nothing.  I am wondering if we can create all those individual classes (Comp 101, Psych 101, etc.) and then cross list them under Dual Enrollment #1, if that would work.  If she were to go in and enter a grade for Suzy who takes Comp 101 and for Joe who takes Psych 101, through the Dual Enrollment #1 class, would those grades push into Powerschool as Comp 101 and Psych101?  I hope you can understand what I am asking, lol.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
don_lourcey1
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hey @gail_bliss,

Each course created via PS creates a unique SIS ID for that course, so even if you manually crosslist the dual enrollment sections into the main courses with a similar title, what helps make sure they connect in grade passback is that unique SIS ID for the section. That is how PS and Canvas recognize those courses and where those grades need to be pushed to.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Don

Steve_Hartnett
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi @gail_bliss,

The school district that I work for has integrated PowerSchool with Canvas. We begin each year with the "generic" PowerSchool courses and then we add the DE courses a few weeks later (our students have a few weeks to sign up for these courses) to PowerSchool. We walked our teachers through the process of cross-listing their courses. We were a bit nervous about this process, but everything has worked pretty seamlessly! The grade pass-back feature works for students who are listed in the "generic" and DE courses. Hope our experience helps!

Thank you for reply.  I am really glad it worked out in practice.  Technology make my eye twitch when I get in to situations like this, lol.  Since crosslisting has to happen before learners start the course, I worry.

Thank for explaining this piece of the logistics.

gail_bliss
Surveyor II

Here is a follow up question...

If we set up crosslisting, does blueprinting work on the parent class?

Steve_Hartnett
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi @gail_bliss!

That is a great question. Although the school district that I work for does not utilize blueprint courses, I did find that similar questions were asked about this. Feel free to check out the links below:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/Blueprint-vs-Crosslisting-vs-Sections/td-p/209555

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/Cross-listing-Blue-Printing-order-important/td-p/1...

I hope this information helps!