cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

PreTest in Canvas

How can I give my students a PreTest Quiz that records the score in the gradebook but does not average into the grade? I need the data from the PreTest to compare with the PostTest but I don't want it to average into the overall grade.

Tags (3)
6 Replies
Highlighted

You can create a new group under the assignment section and set the weight of the grade to a zero.  To add a new group select the + group button then select the gear to set the new weights.

200787_pastedImage_0.png

Highlighted
Surveyor

I believe also, under "Quiz Type", you can choose the option "Practice Quiz", and a score is not recorded in the gradebook.

203767_pastedImage_2.png

Highlighted

If you are using the practice quiz option, how are you pulling that data to show growth since it doesn't appear in the grade book?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I believe as long as you don't have the pre and post test set to any weight  that there will be no affect the student's score.  You will see the grades in the grade book but it will not be apart of their score.  I do this with my students every year.  They take a pre-test at the begining of the course and a post-test at the end.  I set the weight to zero.  The students see the grades foo the assignments but  the assessments don't count in their grade calculation.  

Highlighted

289723_canvas.jpg

In this example the class has 10 assignments each 10 percent of the grade and a pre-post assessment group worth 0 percent.  If you wanted to go one step further you could have the pre and post as separate  groups.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Honestly this was the first thing I thought of as well, but the teacher doesn't want to weight all of his categories (and he has several since he's a science teacher), he uses total points, so a 0% weighted group was something we were trying to avoid.

0 Kudos