cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Problems with Word Doc Formatting?

Has anyone experienced issues with formatting changing in a Word Document upload to an assignment. We have had the formatting change not only in the Croc Doc view but also when downloading the file submission?

4 Replies
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Cara - I have not heard of this before.  Please send me an email with an example and I will look into it for you.

Highlighted
Community Member

I have only ever had a real problem with the Crocodoc formatting. Once I download the file the formatting seems to be as intended. In my business class formatting is important, and I download anything that doesn't look right before I grade it just to be sure.

When the formatting's a problem with the download it's usually because I'm grading on a computer running a different version of Office than what the student used to submit the file. I can't really blame that on Canvas, though.

Highlighted
Community Member

I have had both. It seemed to stem from students using an older version of Word, or using software other than Word (Open Office, or Pages) and saving their document as a .doc

I tended to only notice the issues when students had highly formatted documents, like equations or tables.

Never found a solution for the older software issue. I started using Google Docs and had students submit URLs. If you can get past the potential "cheating" issues with late alterations, it may work better.

Highlighted
Surveyor

I had to create a PDF to solve the problem.