cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Professional Development Ideas

So I have recently accepted a brand new position at my public HS as a Teach on special assignment as we roll out Canvas and a 1:1. I have (2) 3 hr sessions I am in charge of leading to help my colleagues get familiar with Canvas after having completely misused a different LMS for the past 3 years...any one have suggestions on most efficient way to spend a full 6 hr training day?

My first thought was to create every kind of basic activity. I made 4 different assignments each with a different submission type. 2 Discussions...1 graded with Peer reviews and one as a group discussion. Then I made a quiz using each of the question types in the normal version and the beta version. And have them exprience Canvas as a student then teach them how I set each one up for first half...Then sandbox it for the afternoon so that they leave their creating course shells with at least an outline of modules to build over the summer.

Anyone have any success stories or tips? 

Thanks in advance!

94 Replies
Highlighted
Highlighted

Thanks stacy.lambert@det.nsw.edu.au I went right to Commons and added them to the Kung Fu Canvas I tweaked from Commons where they were appropriate! I also revamped the badges in it so that they are working to earn their "black belt"/badges! 

Thanks to david.summerville@det.nsw.edu.au!

Highlighted

Colleen, we turned off Google Classroom.  Not a ton of teachers were using it, but we find that systems that are redundant to Canvas take away from the overall value.  Plus, with Canvas Data we can measure so many aspects of what kinds of progress is being made in the classroom, LTI tools, etc.  If everyone is on different systems, you don't have that opportunity to take a deep dive into what is really going on.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Update: New Teacher training went well! Had great discussions about Why we need an LMS as well as some discussion on a research book about Thinking in the Digital Era and how we need to embrace components of technology since we teach Digital Natives, but we need counteract it with lessons that promote proper thinking and problem solving skills forcing a generation of Google searchers to dive deeper into topics and to question the validity of sources!

Highlighted

Is there a Canvas Treasure Hunt per se? Or just something constructed by each site?

Some ideas I thought could be:

• post to our discussion board
  • give someone a badge
  • change your email noticifations
  • in the Canvas Community find:
    • a person from the USA and follow them
    • a blog on assemsmnet
    • a question about peer evaluation
    • etc

Any other suggestions?

Highlighted

That's a really cool idea bgreenslade@horizon.sa.edu.au‌!  We have a district wide Canvas training course, but nothing like that.  This is an idea I'd definitely consider exploring!

Highlighted

I created a course called Tech Academy, its on Commons. Basically I made every kind of basic assignment for online submission...I had the teachers take it as students...then I switched their role to teacher so they had to grade their responses to see the whole course from both sides of the equation. Sort of like what you're talking about...you could definitely add some of the items you mentioned above to it and then add in Badgr to give badge for each module or item! I'd be down to collaborate on something like that too!

Highlighted

You inspired me to share, Jonathan. I created a course for teachers, who entered as students. It is also in the Commons and called 2018 Training. I loved your idea of switching them over to the teacher role and will be incorporating that into my next PD day. Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Update

• First student week went so well!!! Amazing buy in from across the building of 150+ faculty members along with 1600 students among whom 1200 now have Chromebooks! I'm so happy all the hard work seems to be paying off! I have started doing a weekly blog as a way to avoid sending too many emails during the week!

• My resource Hub is getting good traffic! Despite some frustration as they get used to the new system...there is always a positive ending to every interaction. So many colleagues pulled me in their rooms...saying "Look what I did!!". When I do send emails to faculty I do a short quick version with a funny meme and then instruct them to scroll down if they want the more detailed longer version!

• Now I am using the resource hub to create assignments using LTIs...I made a Flipgrid assignment this morning and offered free coffee and donuts one morning this month for anyone who completed the assignment on time! I have a coffee maker and donuts are cheap...so we shall see if that works! 

• Anyone have any other good incentive ideas I can offer my colleagues that won't break my wallet??? I thought about using Badgr to create badges and show off how to gamify...but not sure how much buy in that will get me...

289877_change.png

Highlighted

Wow jayoder@ojrsd.comhis is impressive. 

So many good ideas there.

Is there a minimum mandatory expectation?