cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Professional Development Ideas

So I have recently accepted a brand new position at my public HS as a Teach on special assignment as we roll out Canvas and a 1:1. I have (2) 3 hr sessions I am in charge of leading to help my colleagues get familiar with Canvas after having completely misused a different LMS for the past 3 years...any one have suggestions on most efficient way to spend a full 6 hr training day?

My first thought was to create every kind of basic activity. I made 4 different assignments each with a different submission type. 2 Discussions...1 graded with Peer reviews and one as a group discussion. Then I made a quiz using each of the question types in the normal version and the beta version. And have them exprience Canvas as a student then teach them how I set each one up for first half...Then sandbox it for the afternoon so that they leave their creating course shells with at least an outline of modules to build over the summer.

Anyone have any success stories or tips? 

Thanks in advance!

94 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Congratulations on your challenging new role jayoder@ojrsd.com

How have they been misusing their previous LMS? 

Perhaps:

• Explore some of the marvellous possibilities that an LMS can provide.
  • A guided tour of Canvas
  • A Canvas treasure hunt
  • Showcase some cool examples
  • Time to play
  • Time to explore Commons
  • Show them where to go for HELP!
  • Talk about/demo good design
  • Buttons
  • Templates to help them get started

Thinking cap on. I'm sure other people will add some fab ideas.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thanks Bobby! Great ideas! We misused the last LMS by just dumping all their files into poorly organized modules and that was about the extent of what most did. The kids barely even looked at it. 

Highlighted

Well that's a good reflection well worth having.

Funny how slowly the process takes isn't it. 

Highlighted
Community Member

I like the ideas that have already been mentioned. Something that we are looking at implementing with our staff is the Canvas Kungfu course that is available through Commons. Might give you some ideas for the day and also an option for ongoing training?

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

That is precisely what I did for our independent/go-getters. I revamped what was on the Commons. I remade badges/belts using Credly. It worked well, but it does not have you actually do the assignments any other way than file upload nor do you take quizzes.

I now built another course that will start with the teachers as students taking each type of basic assignment and then once they complete the assignments, discussions, peer reviews, quizzes and couple external tools (Padlet, Voicethread) then I make them a teacher and they help me grade the submissions to bring it full circle. Allowing me to show how the grades/analytics work by the end as well. It worked really well yesterday and I have another session today. Unfortunately it was not mandated so turn out was rather low 20 out of a 110 faculty...

Highlighted
Community Member

Congratulations!

I know its a little early but at the High School Level you may want to have some of your more advanced users look at BluePrint courses.

If  teachers teach multiple sections or you have multiple teachers teaching one section( with some consistent curriculum) it can be a very helpful. Cross Linking can be very challenging and becomes a real problem if a teacher leaves mid-year. So starting with BluePrints is a nice way to have shared content. 

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Great idea, I was hoping to have some power users emerge from within each department and have them develop their own Blueprints. Do you have to know you are making a Blueprint course ahead of time or can I turn a class into a Blueprint after the fact or copy it into a Blueprint?

Highlighted

We didn't have an LMS before Canvas. I had been encouraging them to use Google Classroom. My battle now is getting them OUT of Google Classroom. I'm running some PD this summer as well. Thanks for your post and ideas. My contribution would include the following:

• Getting them involved in the Canvas Community
  • Creating a "Closet Course" to add content
  • Giving them HTML code for homepages that they can edit.
  • Highlighting the features of Canvas that Google Classroom does not have - Speedgrader, Analytics, apps, video and audio commenting, etc. 
  • Highlighting Respondus for Browser locked tests. (Although it looks like Google is launching this feature for Chromebooks in August. ugh.)
  • Using Conferences for students who habitually miss a lot of class
  • Using Collaboration as a way to edit student writing
Highlighted

This sounds incredible!  Are you willing to share to the Commons?