cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jayoder
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Professional Development Ideas

So I have recently accepted a brand new position at my public HS as a Teach on special assignment as we roll out Canvas and a 1:1. I have (2) 3 hr sessions I am in charge of leading to help my colleagues get familiar with Canvas after having completely misused a different LMS for the past 3 years...any one have suggestions on most efficient way to spend a full 6 hr training day?

My first thought was to create every kind of basic activity. I made 4 different assignments each with a different submission type. 2 Discussions...1 graded with Peer reviews and one as a group discussion. Then I made a quiz using each of the question types in the normal version and the beta version. And have them exprience Canvas as a student then teach them how I set each one up for first half...Then sandbox it for the afternoon so that they leave their creating course shells with at least an outline of modules to build over the summer.

Anyone have any success stories or tips? 

Thanks in advance!

94 Replies
Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

Sometimes you need to open the original discussion in order to fully participate in it.

The preview can give a false impression of full participation. Does that make sense? 

Yup and now it's working. Smiley Happy 

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jayoder . It's been a while since you started your new position. How's it going? What tips have you got from your experience so far?

jayoder
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

So, they decided to dissolve my position and have the teachers go at it on their own Smiley Sad However, I am excited to be back in the classroom using Canvas to teach Spanish. So I will now be shifting gears to how I am using Canvas in my classroom, which is exciting. I got to see a lot of my colleagues do some phenomenal work and now its my turn! Although I did find that my work was well received and my new calling so I hope to find a job that will allow me to continue to inspire Teachers to step outside their comfort zones and use tools like Canvas to engage their Ss!

I did just run some great PD for our new teachers this past week on using Canvas that got me very energized for the year...Here was the blog I wrote about it and also its a link to my ePortfolio where I showcased the highlights of my year as a TOSA/Tech Integration Coach! I also used your Canvas Checklist that everyone loved! Smiley Happy

Also I am thinking of doing a Canvas Live event soon on how my year went and what I did to get everyone involved and on board! I was talking with stefaniesanders‌ about my topic at instcon 2019‌. Perhaps I should try and get that done soon! Stay tuned! Smiley Happy

Congrats on your presentation at the Sydney CanvasCon I'm sure you rocked it!

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

What a shame  @jayoder  that your supporting role has been removed. Keeping that support alive makes it so much more sustainable. I do understand that it can be a stretch financially to have a role like that in place. We've had a similar change here. When you've started to create momentum with change it's a bit disheartening. So, good on you for wanting to still provide ongoing support in whatever way you can. That's admirable. Take care of yourself with this as you will still be the 'go to Canvas King'. 

Being back in the classroom will give you opportunities to use, and build on, those Canvas possibilities you learned during your time in your other role. I miss that real connection sometimes. 

I love your Canvas Live idea. Keep on being the amazing you!