cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jayoder
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Professional Development Ideas

So I have recently accepted a brand new position at my public HS as a Teach on special assignment as we roll out Canvas and a 1:1. I have (2) 3 hr sessions I am in charge of leading to help my colleagues get familiar with Canvas after having completely misused a different LMS for the past 3 years...any one have suggestions on most efficient way to spend a full 6 hr training day?

My first thought was to create every kind of basic activity. I made 4 different assignments each with a different submission type. 2 Discussions...1 graded with Peer reviews and one as a group discussion. Then I made a quiz using each of the question types in the normal version and the beta version. And have them exprience Canvas as a student then teach them how I set each one up for first half...Then sandbox it for the afternoon so that they leave their creating course shells with at least an outline of modules to build over the summer.

Anyone have any success stories or tips? 

Thanks in advance!

94 Replies
jayoder
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Its now in the Commons as Public  Domain under "Tech Academy" with Iphone image as the course card. I ran it last month and thought it went well especially when I made them techers after they finished so they could take part in the grading too! It went very well!

jayoder
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I am going to offer drop in sessions every week and informal Lunch Hacks etc. Looking forward to next week's conference to get me all set! I'm so pumped to be able to help my colleagues get more tech savvy. I think the slow wave is catching up and now more and more want on board. So I like that we did a very informal slow optional roll out it made the process more organic and then those power users can now help spread the word and hype other up!

jayoder
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I'm going to a Blueprint drop in session next week at IntructureCon!

jayoder
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I'm very excited to reference your slide deck as I develop my weekly tips blog and drop in sessions! Such great info! Thanks for sharing!!!

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

One day  @jayoder . I hope!

Lisa,

I am in the exact same boat as you. I am part of the digital teaching and learning team in my district.  We just signed for 3 additional years for Canvas and I believe we are heading in our third year of Canvas.  There are a lot of teachers who are comfortable with Google Classroom and do not want to transition. We are also running a few PDs on Canvas (one completely online and 2 that are face to face to accommodate both year round and traditional schedule). I would love to collaborate with you and compare ideas/strategies that seem to be working and whatnot.

Let me know if this is something you are willing to do! 

Look forward to hearing from you!  

jayoder
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I have recently completed a Canvas Course as a Teacher Resource Center to roll out to the faculty as we begin our journey with Canvas with important links to the Canvas Guides and How to and Video tutorials. I also made/embedded the following video to help with the reason why an LMS can be a useful things for everyone involved!

Let me know what you think!

I was also inspired by the FIT Sneaky Teaching presentation at instcon 2018 and I am currently working on a very visual and upbeat presentation for my 1hr PD session with the faculty on the 1st day of PD!

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks  @jayoder for the bravery you have shown by sharing.

You highlighted some great points in your video. I love that you were inspired by others at instcon 2018 to further develop your presentations. The community is great for supporting each other with these important topics. 

stacy_lambert
Learner II

HI  @jayoder ‌ - if you search Callaghan College training videos and quizzes in Commons, we have 4 sessions of training on Canvas with quizzes that were developed by our Head Teacher Technology  @david_summervi1 ‌. 

These might help - you cannot move forward until you get all the answers right. We also had badges added to gamify and at the end you were deemed a "Canvas Champion". Good thing about having it online - we start with this training (any new staff have to do it too - can be done anytime, anywhere -sorry - about to break out into the Goodies theme song) and then move on to any areas staff were not as comfortable with as others. This allowed us to then differentiate the face to face training with staff and not go over the stuff they already knew. Have fun. Take lollies!

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks  @stacy_lambert or pointing those gems out. I will be sure to check them out. 

We've been running fortnightly 15 minute skype sessions based on different topics eg. blended learning, differentiation, groups, quizzes, communication. Here's a link to a discussion about Communication in Canvas and our latest Digital Bites session on that topic.https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/24591-communication-in-canvas