Pure PBL - Can do, Can achieve, Canvas!

stacy_lambert
Community Contributor

294209_20181024_135319.jpg

I am backward mapping this blog post - starting with the end in mind! 

This photo (and banner) is of some of the happy faces of students at Callaghan College and De La Salle Lipa - Philippines (on the Promethean) after the final judging of their Sustainability Project which was organised by Instructure's Deactivated user‌ and team. 

Let's back track now - last term, students at De La Salle Lipa, Callaghan College Wallsend Campus and Waratah Campus were set a challenge by Instructure and Red Agency - look at Sustainability and single use plastics, come up with solutions and alternatives. Students were grouped on Canvas with representatives from each Campus on teams. They had to research and deliver a PowerPoint based on problem solving these issues. They had to communicate and collaborate with people they didn't know, develop relationships, navigate time zones and solve a massive environmental issue. 

Did I mention they are 15 years old?

All groups were judged (via speedgrader) from both the Philippines and Australia and the top ten groups completed their final presentations across video link today - presenting together in front of staff, students and parents from both countries. (Not to mention the media presence as well). We are not sure who won yet as there were so many quality presentations, however in our eyes, it doesn't matter. They all won! And so did we - the future is safe with kids like these in both countries.

As teachers - what did we do? Only provided support and set up the Canvas course. They had no time out of class. All students had to do this project above and beyond their normal studies, and they volunteered for this! It was a complete first for our College and quite frankly a fantastic start. There were times when we checked the groups and could see conferences were happening, collaborative documents were being shared and discussions were flying back and forth between countries. When we saw some of the friendships that have been developed  today, and watched them present together as a team - well let's just say our hearts were full of pride. I can only imagine the joy if they all ever met in person. 

Today we witnessed a technological tool support many solutions to global problems, but that didn't matter in the end - what we saw was global friendship. You just cannot buy that!

294210_20181024_120640.jpg

294211_20181024_123316.jpg

#callaghancollegewallsendcampus‌  @david_summervi1 ‌ Deactivated user‌ Deactivated user‌

8 Comments
Bobby2
Community Champion

Brilliant work  @stacy_lambert  and everyone involved. You make it all seem so easy! I bet there was a bit of organising, but once set up I'm sure it flowed beautifully. As you said 

There were times when we checked the groups and could see conferences were happening, collaborative documents were being shared and discussions were flying back and forth between countries.

I'm keen to show this idea to a few teachers.

How did you find a 'buddy' school to work with that used Canvas? 

stacy_lambert
Community Contributor

HI Bobby, we were 'set up' by Instructure with a buddy school. Like a blind date, however it seemed to work. Smiley Happy

Bobby2
Community Champion

Fabulous service  @stacy_lambert . Did they offer or did you request? 

I'm sure others would be interested in doing something similar.

Did you use Big Blue Button at all?

stacy_lambert
Community Contributor

@Bobby2 ‌ we used Blue Jeans for the final presentations across all the campuses / offices etc. And we were offered the opportunity which we jumped on straight away. I think this has been a good trial model which they will more than likely expand upon with lots of schools. At least I hope so - we can weed out the mistakes we made and other schools can hopefully benefit. 

Bobby2
Community Champion

Lucky you. And good on you for making the most of the opportunity  @stacy_lambert . I can see lots of primary schools wanting to have a go at this. Where do we sign up?

stacy_lambert
Community Contributor

Unsure of sign up. It might be a while for them to get a model up and running. But hopeful!

stacy_lambert
Community Contributor
Bobby2
Community Champion

Brilliant. Nice write up  @stacy_lambert . World leaders!