cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Set Default Assignment Due Time

When creating Canvas assignments the due time defaults to 11:59pm on the due date. While this may be OK at a college level, we have received feedback from our parents in our K-12 school that this encourages them to procrastinate and stay up late to finish their assignments. We would like to be able to set the default due time earlier in the evening - for example 10:00pm.

We believe that giving admins the ability to set the default assignment due time will allow them to better meet the needs of their communities. Please vote for this idea.

Ability to Set the Default Time

Thanks.

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

This would be a great idea for K12!  We found the same issue happens here (boarding school) and 10pm should be our due time also.   There's actually a few settings that I would like for admins to have control over at the account level, such as making assignment due date field a requirement.  Sadly I didn't make it to Hack Night this year Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Community Member

Anything you can do to promote this would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Community Member

Agreed.  This is common sense and would have a profound positive  effect on student as well as faculty use of Canvas.  I work at a day school with a rotating schedule, so figuring out the time due is complex and unnecessary. The assignments are due when class begins.  So, we would set the default time for 8AM, communicating to students that homework should be done the night before.  Even better would be an option to remove time due entirely, making the calendar day the only important information students need to see--a classic due date.

Highlighted
Community Member

This idea request timed out. I've re-submitted this idea and would love to see this promoted and voted up!

Highlighted
Community Member

This is now open for voting. We would really appreciate your positive votes for this. There are a lot of schools that could use this feature. Here is the new submission:

Highlighted
Surveyor II

Dear mwade,

How can we get them to listen to us about this?  This is easily the most common frustration for K-12 users.  What is so hard about just adding the **bleep** feature?  (ability to change the default time).  

Thanks for any info, 

craymond@athenian.org

Charlie