Social Media, Social Life: Teens Reveal Their Experiences (2018)

isobel_williams
Community Contributor

Hi

These reports from Common Sense Media always make for an interesting read.   - https://www.commonsensemedia.org/research/social-media-social-life-2018.  This is worth a look at and thinking about how it might apply to the young people we work with. 

I am surprised that social media makes teens feel less lonely and less depressed.  Maybe not the ones I work with!  But we really need to take into account the differences between students with high and low social and emotional well being.

Isobel

2 Comments
ronmarx
Community Contributor

I just watched the HBO Documentary on an aspect of social media, "Tinder and the Dawn of the 'Dating Apocalypse'." This is the social media that adolescent users aspire to once they move away from home and their parents' watchful eyes.

Vanity Fair article: Tinder and Hookup-Culture Promotion | Vanity Fair 

Business Insider article: HBO documentary 'Swiped' shows the dark side of Tinder and dating apps - Business Insider 

These reports are for adults only, as this is a subject of professional development.

Bobby2
Community Champion

A nice read  @isobel_williams hanks for the share. And a timely reminder of the impact of using an LMS transformatively thus creating a shared digital language to help prevent or deal with issues that may arise, as well as building the students digital citizenship skills.