cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ckofeldt
Learner II

Student Onboarding Module on Canvas

We are rolling out Canvas full school never year (We are a fully cyber K-12 school.) We were previously using Moodle. To prepare our students, we created onboarding courses for the new school year.

Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 7.40.06 PM.png

We have one for K-6, 6-8 and 9-12. What are some of the most helpful tips and tutorials I should share with our students in our Canvas module? Right now I have 4 categories:

• Navigating Canvas
    • Dashboard
    • Global and Course navigation
    • Course Homepage
    • Modules
  • Updating Your Canvas Account
    • Updating Profile
    • Setting Notifications
  • Contacting Your Teacher
    • Inbox
    • Announcements
  • Working in Canvas
    • Canvas Calendar
    • Submitting an Assignment
    • Checking Grades and Feedback
    • Canvas Help

Any additions, suggestions, resources are greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

8 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Courtney - I think a quick tutorial/walk-through of Discussions would be helpful. I would also mention Groups and how to access them during your tour of the dashboard. I think your outline and graphics look great! Good luck with the official launch!

Can't believe I forgot discussions! Thanks for your feedback, Kristin!

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

This is awesome Courtney!

ckofeldt
Learner II

Here is the cheat sheet I just added to start things off:

Canvas Cheat Sheet.jpg

Courtney - I know you made this as part of an onboarding process, but the "cheat sheet" would be a great resource in any Welcome module or course introduction.

Thanks,  @scottdennis ‌!

ckofeldt
Learner II

An update for the 2017-2018 school year:

We continued with the on boarding process for all students. Being K-12, we create 6 courses

1.  New High School Students
  2. New Middle School
  3. Returning High School
  4. Returning Middle School
  5. 3-5 
  6. K-2

251896_6.png

251899_4.png

It has really established a baseline for our students and their knowledge of technology to begin the school year. The returning student courses served as a refresh and also a look at advanced settings and technology concepts.

251898_Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 11.47.07 AM.png

It is now our second year with Canvas, and our whole school community continues to embrace the platform as we continue to further develop the online educational experience for our learners!