cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rfa
Surveyor

Student text submissions disappearing/timing out when submitting

Hi everyone,

Some of my teachers are reporting that student text box submission are disappearing or timing out. Basically, if a student is working writing a text submission, their content disappears when they press submit. 

It is happening at school, home, different classes, different user, different devices etc. so there does not seem to be a pattern. I have searched for this issue, but am not seeing anything in the community.

Is anyone aware of this issue happening and any potential solutions?

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

rfa, I'm sorry to see that your question has been sitting here unanswered for so long. Were you ever able to figure out what was going on? Personally we've never experienced this exact type of issue, but we also strongly discourage our faculty from using the text submission with students. We promote writing up in a Word Document or Google Doc and then submitting to assignments because it minimizes the possibility of students possibly losing their work. Regardless, I don't think Canvas should be timing out - unless you have some type of timeing thing set-up with your Instance of Canvas. If you don't and your students are still experiencing this issue then I'd recommend contacting Canvas Support to see if they can help figure out what the problem is.

Hope this helps!

Kona

jlenrow
Community Member

rfa‌, I teach an orientation course and try to use as many features in Canvas as I can so that students will be prepared if future professors use any of them. I therefore use text submissions for journal posts.  While they are not very long - from a few sentences to a few paragraphs - none of my students have told me that their post disappeared.  I'm interested in finding out what the solution/issue is.

JDL

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi rfa - There was a known issue with Canvas Student that cut off text entries. That only affected iOS devices, if I remember correctly. However, since your initial post, there has been an update that fixes the text entry option. I know Kona just asked you this too, but are you still experiencing this issue?

Thanks  @kona ‌! No worries, it was a really odd and inconsistent issue, and I'm just trying to cover all my bases and make sure I didn't miss anything. I recommended using Google Doc submission as well. Thanks for your help!

Rita

Hi  @klundstrum ‌, it was an ongoing issue that I could not replicate. I do remember the update, and I haven't heard of any issues since that came out. Classes are done for summer, so I'm hoping that update resolved those issues. Thanks for your help though!!

Rita

Hi  @jlenrow ‌, thanks for the info. I'm really hoping the Canvas updated mentioned below fixed the issue. I'll post an update if it still occurs.

Rita