Suspended students with PowerSchool

Jump to solution
paul_goodenough
Community Explorer

Schools using PowerSchool,

When a student is placed on out of school suspension they are unenrolled from PowerSchool.  How do other districts keep the students from getting removed from Canvas? We are having issues with students placed on out of school suspension being deleted in Canvas when our daily sync runs between PowerSchool and Canvas.  When this happens, they can not access their coursework while outside of school.

1 Solution
codom
Community Member

Hmm...this is a tough one.

I want to make sure that I understand fully--your admin makes students inactive in PowerSchool when they are suspended? How would a teacher record a grade on a suspended student in PowerTeacher? The way I've always understood it, when a kid is removed from PowerSchool, they get an enrollment status that says that. Canvas just matches it.

To me, the best practice is to match PowerSchool as much as possible, since it is (at least in our case) the authoritative database.

Honestly, I'm not certain why a student would be inactivated in PowerSchool because of a out of school suspension. That's not our practice (because the student is still enrolled with us, just suspended).

Let's talk through more though--overriding PowerSchool in this case isn't advisable--because if that kid was to unenroll (not be suspended), then that enrollment would still be there. (through a sticky enrollment, for example).

View solution in original post